Sexual and gender minorities (SGM)—more commonly referred to as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+)—encompass a diverse group of communities, identities, and cultural norms. As with any community, the social mores and terms are continually evolving to reflect the changing needs and perspectives of its members.
As such, this page shares some resources for education, whether it be for your own personal understanding or for recommendations to be used in a school-based setting. Whatever level of information you are seeking, we hope these help you continue to learn, to grow, and to share.
The Gender Unicorn
Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER) created this graphic to more accurately portray the distinction between gender, sex assigned at birth, and sexuality.
This graphic visually defines Gender Identity (one’s internal sense of being male, female, neither of these, both, or another gender(s)), Gender Expression/Presentation (the physical manifestation of one’s gender identity through clothing, hairstyle, voice, body shape, etc.), Sex Assigned at Birth (the assignment and classification of people as male, female, intersex, or another sex based on a combination of anatomy, hormones, chromosomes), Physical Attraction (Sexual Orientation), Emotional Attraction (Romantic/emotional orientation). Learn more at Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER).
Additional Resources for Everyone
- Gender Spectrum
- GLSEN Pronoun Guide
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, LGBT Health
- TeenLink Hawai‘i
- Advocates for Youth
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER)
Additional Resources for Educators
- GLSEN Educator Resources
- Teaching Tolerance
- GLSEN Safe Space Kit (no-cost download)
- The Future of Sex Education
- Glossary of Sex Education Terms
- Rights, Respect, Responsibility
- National Sex Education Standards, 2nd Edition
- Hawai‘i Department of Education, Civil Rights Compliance Branch and Guidance for Transgender Students
- Hawaii Department of Education, Learning Design Resource for Health Education
- Rainbow Book Lists for Children and Teens
For local SGM reading lists for various age groups, contact Jan Kamiya, Hawaii State Public Library System at [email protected]