Co-occurring Resources: Consumers

Welcome to the Consumer section of the Co-Occurring Resources webpage. Here you will find information and links about mental illness and substance use disorders.

State Mental Health Agency
For more information about admission, care, treatment, release, and patient follow-up in public or private psychiatric residential facilities, contact your State mental health agency:
Department of Health
Adult Mental Health Division
1250 Punchbowl #256
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-586-4686
Fax: 808-586-4745

State Substance Abuse Agency
Contact your State substance abuse agency for information about treatment and care of substance abuse disorders:
Hawaii Department of Health
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division
601 Kamokila Boulevard, Room 360
Kapolei, HI 96707
Phone: 808-692-7506

State Protection and Advocacy Agency
Each State has a protection and advocacy agency that receives funding from the Federal Center for Mental Health Services. Agencies are mandated to protect and advocate for the rights of people with mental illnesses and to investigate reports of abuse and neglect in facilities that care for or treat individuals with mental illnesses. These facilities, which may be public or private, include hospitals, nursing homes, community facilities, board and care homes, homeless shelters, jails, and prisons. Agencies provide advocacy services or conduct investigations to address issues that arise during transportation or admission to such facilities, during residency in them, or within 90 days after discharge from them. Contact:
Hawaii Disability Rights Center
900 Fort Street Mall, Suite 1040
Pioneer Plaza
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-949-2922 (TDD)
Fax: 808-949-2928
Toll-free: 800-882-1057 (Statewide)
E-mail: [email protected]
Spanish language assistance available

Family Support
The Center for Mental Health Services awards grants to statewide, family-run networks to provide support and information to families of children and adolescents with serious emotional, behavioral, or mental disorders. For more information, contact:
Hawaii Families as Allies
Executive Director
94-479 Ukee Street
Waipahu, Hawaii 96797
Mail: P.O. Box 1971, Aiea, HI 96701
Phone: 808-682-1511
Email: [email protected]

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which are part of the Department of Health and Human Services, investigate some complaints about treatment facilities that receive Medicare and Medicaid funding. For further information at the national level, contact:
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
7500 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
Phone: 410-786-3000
E-mail: [email protected]

You may also share your concerns with staff at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services office in your area, which is Region 9. The regional office address and telephone number are:
San Francisco Regional Office
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
75 Hawthorne Street, 4th Floor, Room 408
San Francisco, CA 94105-3903
Phone: 415-744-3501
Fax: 415-744-3517

Advocacy Organizations
Local chapters of the National Mental Health Association have information about community services and engage in national and State level advocacy. For more information about the association, write or call:
Mental Health Association in Hawaii
1136 Union Mall, Suite 208
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-521-1846 (Oahu) / 808-242-6461 (Maui)
Fax: 808-533-6995
E-mail: [email protected]

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) maintains a helpline for information on mental illnesses and referrals to local groups. The local self-help groups have support and advocacy components and offer education and information about community services for families and individuals. For information about the Alliance’s affiliates and activities in your State, contact:
770 Kapiolani Boulevard, Suite 613
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-591-1297
Fax: 808-591-1297
E-mail: [email protected]

Statewide consumer organizations are run by and for consumers of mental health services and promote consumer empowerment. These organizations provide information about mental health and other support services at the State level and are active in addressing and advocating around mental health system issues. For information about consumer activities in your area, contact:

United Self-Help
c/o Waikiki Health Center
310 Paokalani Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815
Phone: 808-947-5558
Toll Free: 1-866-866-HELP (4357)
E-mail: [email protected]

The National Mental Health Consumers’ Self-Help Clearinghouse, funded partly by the Center for Mental Health Services, promotes and helps to develop consumer-run self-help groups across the country. Technical assistance and materials are available on such topics as organizing groups, fundraising, leadership development, incorporating, public relations, advocacy, and networking. For more information, contact:
The National Mental Health Consumers’ Self-Help Clearinghouse
1211 Chestnut Street, Suite 1207
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: 215-751-1810
Fax: 215-636-6312
Toll-free: 800-553-4KEY (539)
E-mail: [email protected]

The National Empowerment Center is a Technical Assistance Center run by mental health consumers/survivors. The Center’s mission is to carry a message of recovery, empowerment, hope and healing to people who have been diagnosed with mental illness. The Center provides information and referrals to consumer/survivor resources nationwide and offers technical assistance to individuals and groups involved in consumer empowerment activities. The Center distributes recovery-related publications and sponsors education and training activities. For information on consumer/survivor activities in your area, contact:
The National Empowerment Center
599 Canal Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
Toll-free: 800-769-3728
Fax: 978-681-6426
TDD: 800-TTY-POWER (7693)
E-mail: [email protected]

Certified Peer Specialist Program
Contact the AMHD Office of Consumer Affairs at 586-4685 for more information.