AMHD Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles
Lead, foster and coordinate a comprehensive mental health system that promotes mental wellbeing through the delivery of dignified, holistic, and culturally relevant health care and services for Hawaii’s communities.
Ensure mental health services are accessible, proactive, meaningful, collaborative and empowering for all Hawaii communities.
To implement our vision, the AMHD uses the following principles to guide our work:
• Mental health treatment works.
• People recover every day in Hawaii.
• We supports recovery in all aspects of our work.
• Appropriate housing and employment are keys to recovery.
• We strive to treat our consumers in independent living settings.
• Behavioral Health is essential to health; we partner with other health care professionals to provide
• We strive to educate ourselves and provide training to others.
• We support the use of innovative strategies to reduce involvement of individuals with mental illness
in the criminal justice system.
• We strive to identify and provide best practice mental health care to our consumers.
• We strive to develop and provide best practice forensic services to integrate and collaborate with
the courts, corrections system, and law enforcement agencies to reduce consumers’ justice involvement.