The following press releases are arranged by date with the latest first. For more information about specific press releases call 586-4442.
- Hawai‘i Department of Health warns of potential adverse effects of using antimalaria drugs against COVID-19 Mar 28, 2020 - HONOLULU – The Hawai‘i Department of Health (DOH) is warning everyone about the hazards and dangers of using non-approved drugs for COVID-19. Antimalarial drugs have been recently reported as possible treatments against COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. While hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine prescription medications have been used for treatment of malaria and certain… Continue Reading
- COVID-19 Retest Associated with Death Comes Back Negative Mar 25, 2020 - HONOLULU – Internal communication of a COVID-19 test at the Dept. of Health resulted in a report being misread and initiated a retest of samples today from an O‘ahu adult, who died on March 20, 2020. This evening the second test came back negative for COVID-19. DOH Director Dr. Bruce Anderson says our focus was… Continue Reading
- Hawai‘i Department of Health Waives Routine Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance Requirements for Selected Groups Mar 25, 2020 - The Hawai‘i Department of Health (DOH) is waiving routine TB clearance requirements for selected groups to support COVID-19 mitigation efforts. The suspension will remain in effect through May 31, 2020. The suspension will support social distancing in the community to protect the public, especially vulnerable seniors and individuals with medical conditions that could increase their… Continue Reading
- State Announces First Death from COVID-19 Mar 24, 2020 - HONOLULU – An O‘ahu adult is Hawai‘i’s first death from COVID-19, the novel coronavirus. The Department of Health reports the person passed away on March 20, 2020 and suffered from multiple underlying health conditions. The available history for this person suggests they had a potential indirect travel-related exposure. The person had been tested at a… Continue Reading
- State of Hawai‘i launches www.HawaiiCOVID19.com website Mar 19, 2020 - The State of Hawaii has launched a new website — www.hawaiicovid19.com — to equip residents and visitors with information and resources to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community. HawaiiCOVID19.com will serve as a hub for Hawai‘i’s inter-agency coordinated effort to combat the spread of the disease statewide and will be populated with more… Continue Reading
More news releases
Archived news releases
Press releases are issued by the Department of Health through its Communications Office. Releases are sent to all major media throughout the state unless the information is specific to a particular issue or island.
Looking for a PDF?
You may download a PDF at the bottom of each news release.
You may need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed before you access the PDFs. Acrobat Reader is free and can be downloaded here: