LGBTQ Safe Spaces
The CAMHD Safe Spaces Committee (SSC) is a council of CAMHD staff and community members whose mission is to create and maintain an LGBTQ+ affirming system of mental health care for youth, that advances inclusive practice, urges accepting attitudes, operationalizes diversity, and provides education to the larger community. The SSC is dedicated to examining and improving policies and practices of the CAMHD, its contracted providers, and the broader system of care to promote best and promising practices related to mental health treatment of LGBTQ+ youth and their families.
Spill The Tea Cafe (STTC) is a inclusive mental health clinic focused on adolescents. Teenagers are particularly vulnerable to mental health challenges due to the unique social, emotional, and developmental challenges they face. STTC is a specialized healthcare facility that aims to provide comprehensive and evidence-based treatment and support to adolescents struggling with mental health issues. The goal of STTC is to promote the mental health and well-being of adolescents by providing accessible, compassionate, and personalized care.
Read more >>
Learning About SOGIE – click to watch
May 19, 2021, This video, created by the Center of Excellence on LGBTQ+ Behavioral Health Equity (CoE LGBTQ+ BHE), reviews basic terminology that is important to know when working with people who have diverse sexual orientations or gender identities. This terminology includes sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
To learn more about the CoE LGBTQ+ BHE and their learning opportunities, visit https://lgbtqequity.org.
Let Her Play webinar recording now available – click to watch
July 13, 2022, DOE SBBH Presentation
Robin Lee and Kimberly Allen present to Hawaii DOE School Based Behavioral Health participants about the importance of pro-social activities such as sports in the lives of LGBTQ+ youth.
Let Her Play webinar recording now available – click to watch | Chat
July 6, 2022, MHAH Brown Bag Presentation
Hosted by Mental Health of America Hawai’i
Presentation by CAMHD’s Kimberly Allen & Robin LeeThis training discusses understanding the LGBTQ+ community, especially the transgender athlete. You will see how barring their participation in team sports harms their mental wellness, and ability to connect with their peers. The presentation includes a video about a trans youth athlete and a discussion on supporting the trans-youth athlete.
Let Her Play video now available – click to watch
The ABCs of LGBTQ video now available – click to watch | Script
Download the Guiding Document for Post-Viewing Discussion >>
Department of Human Services (DHS)
Harm Reduction Services Branch (HRSB)
- Sexual and Gender Minorities (SGM) Resource Hub
- SGM Services Directory (Edition 3, May 2022)
- Gender-Affirming Providers Directory (November 2023)
Hawai’i Health & Harm Reduction Center (HHHRC)
Hawai’i Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity Expression (SOGIE)
- Dr. Anderson HI SOGIE (Handout)
- 9 Strategies for Quarantining in Non-LGBTQ+ Affirming Environment
- College Students in Non-supportive Home Environments
- Health Clinics Serving LGBTQ+ community by State and City
- Family Acceptance Project: Education & Intervention Posters to Build Healthy Futures for LGBTQ & Gender Diverse Children & Youth – 8 New Asian Languages Available Now!
- Family Acceptance Project: General Acceptance Poster (English)
- Family Acceptance Project: Resources for encouraging acceptance of LGBTQ+ children
Transgender & Gender Diverse Specific Resources
- Gender Spectrum: Site with many helpful resources for gender exploration and support
- HHHRC Kua’ana Project
- Trans Care Gender Transition: “Hormones: A Guide for FTMs”
- Trans Care Gender Transition: “Hormones: A Guide for MTFs”
- Trans Youth Handbook
- Transforming Families: LA-based family support group creating a positive environment for children, adolescents and their families to explore issues of gender identity. Offer phone support nationwide.
- TransLifeline: Peer-to-Peer Support for Trangender Community
- Transequality: An action plan for trans youth to promote healthy coping during COVID
Phone Support & Crisis Resources
- The Water We Swim In: Gender Stereotypes and the Harm They Do to Us
- Charting the Course: What We Know About How Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Develop and How to Speak with Young People About Them
- JThe Family Journey: Interventions That Support Parents to Help Them Show Up Fully for Their Kids
- Medical Interventions: What Are They and What Do Kids and Families Need to Understand | Handouts: Dr. Anderson HI SOGIE, “Hormones: A Guide for FTMs”, and “Hormones: A Guide for MTFs”
- Supporting LGBTQ+ Youth in the Foster Care System
- Working at the Intersection of Mental Health and LGBTQ+ Identities
Last reviewed on December 14, 2023