Alcohol and Drug Abuse Professional

We encourage you to mail in your renewal packet or applications. If you need to visit the office, please make an appointment. 

New Update (7/1/2020): Preregistering and Testing has resumed. There are limited spots, so please register as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact Angela Bolan: [email protected] or Anisa Pacapac-Marquez: [email protected]

In accordance with Hawaii Revised Statutes 321-193(10), the Department of Health, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division (ADAD), certifies substance abuse counselors and program administrators.

Hawaii is a member board of the International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse, Inc. (IC&RC/AODA).  The IC&RC is a voluntary international organization comprised of substance abuse credentialing boards representing 41 states, the U.S. military, various Indian Health Service Organizations, and a range of countries.  As a member board, Hawaii subscribes to the international standards prescribed by the IC&RC and published in the IC&RC guidelines
(website:  Qualified counselors certified in Hawaii have reciprocity with other IC&RC member boards, as indicated by HAR 11-177.1.

Processing Days:   Thursday: All new candidates, and work/education verification updates.
Due to the increase of candidates, respond time may take up to 8-12 weeks (subject to change).

All Renewals will be reviewed as received.

Important Message Concerning ADAD Counselor Certifications and Training (PDF) January 20, 2021


Certified Substance Abuse Counselor


CSAC-Applicaiton-7.21.2020-Fillable-Updated-June 2021

Code of Ethics for CSAC, CCS, CCJP and CSAPA (PDF)

CSAC 12-Core Functions


  Work Experience Verification Record for Paid Hours Only (PDF)
 Work Experience Verification Record for Voluntary/Non-Paid (PDF)

CSAC Suggested Reading (PDF)
Ready to Test Homepage

Certified Prevention Specialist 

CPS General Instructions and Application-Updated (PDF)

Code of Ethics for CPS (PDF)


Certified Clinical Supervisor

CCS General Information and Application (pdf)

Work Experience Verification R

ecord (PDF)

Certified Criminal Justice Professional

CCJP-General Instructions and Application (pdf)

Work Experience Verification Record (PDF

CCJP Suggested Reading (PDF)

Certified Program Administrators 


Application for Certified Substance Abuse Program Administrator (PDF)

Renewal Application

CSAC Renewal Application (PDF)
CPS Renewal Application (PDF)
CCJP Renewal Application (PDF)
CCS Renewal Application (PDF)
CSAPA Renewal Application (PDF)
LCSW, LMFT, APRN, LMHC, Licensed Psychologist, MD Renewal Application (PDF) 


Certified Substance Abuse Counselor Applications For Licensed Professionals or Program Administrators

Application for Certified Substance Abuse Program Administrator (PDF)
CSAC Application for Those Who Are Licensed Physicians or Psychologists (PDF) -Revised 10/6/2017
CSAC Application for Those Who are Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Mental Health Counselors or Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (PDF) -Revised 10/6/2017



RECIPROCITY INTO ADAD: Addiction professionals certified by an IC&RC member board who relocated to Hawaii may transfer their credential to ADAD using the reciprocity process.  To begin the reciprocity process, certified addiction professionals must contact their current credentialing board and request a reciprocity application. Upon completion of the reciprocity application by both the certified addiction professional and the current credentialing board and upon receipt of this information by ADAD. ADAD will review your application and advise if additional requirements need to be obtained before becoming a Hawaii Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC). credential. Information regarding the Reciprocity Process to Other IC&RC Member Boards (PDF)



Effective 10/01/2017,  the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division will be maintaining a list of Certified Substance Abuse Counselors (CSAC) who would like to perform mandatory assessments of those charged with Operating a Vehicle Under the Influence of an Intoxicant (OVUII). This would be done as a private enterprise, typically on a client self-pay basis. For more information or for an application to be placed on this list contact the [email protected] – (808) 692-7518.  All existing assessors need to contact ADAD to remain on the list.
Click here to download the CSAC Application for Drivers Education/Independent Assessor (PDF). – NEW



To register as a Substance Abuse Professional under Dept. of Transportation rules, go to If you qualify as a SAP, please notify ADAD at (808) 692-7518.

 Effective July 1, 2017, Computer-based testing fee: $125.00 for all certifications.


Please email ADAD if you have any questions regarding certification @ [email protected]


Hawaii Administrative Rule 11-177.1 Administrative Rules (PDF)


Hawaii Department of Health
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division
601 Kamokila Blvd. Room 360
Kapolei, Hawai’i, 96707
(808) 692-7506