Medicaid I/DD Waiver
Medicaid is a jointly funded, Federal-State health insurance program for people with limited income and resources who meet eligibility requirements. The Medicaid 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waiver for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) is authorized under Section 1915(c) of the Social Security Act. These services are designed to implement creative person-centered alternatives to long-term institutionalized care.
Hawaii’s state Medicaid program is called Med-QUEST. It is administered by the Department of Human Services, Med-QUEST Division (MQD), and is financed through the State of Hawai‘i and the Federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). MQD works in partnership with DDD and stakeholders to design a waiver that meets the needs of Hawai‘i residents with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD). MQD and DDD ensure the waiver is implemented in compliance with all waiver requirements, federal and state laws, and waiver standards.
Individuals who are eligible for DDD services, are Medicaid eligible, and meet the level of care criteria can apply for the Medicaid I/DD Waiver. Services and supports are identified through a person-centered planning process with case managers who coordinate and assist individuals in accessing waiver services from qualified providers or through the Consumer-Directed (CD) Option.
Additional Resources (PDF Format)
- Hawaii 1915c HCBS Medicaid Waiver Application, Amendment #3 – June 2022 – PDF Format (Approved 6/3/2022)
- Hawaii 1915c HCBS Medicaid Waiver Approval Letter – June 2022 – PDF Format
- Waiver Provider Standards – Version A – Appendices & Resources – Effective April 1, 2022 – PDF Format
- Waiver Provider Standards Manual – Version A – Effective April 1, 2022 -PDF Format
- I/DD Waiver Rate Sheet – Effective 7/1/2021 – Issued 2/28/2022 – PDF Format
- Hawaii 1915c HCBS Waiver Application, Amendment #2 – April 2022 – PDF Format (Approved 1/10/2022)
- Summary of Public Comments for 2021 Waiver, Amendment #2 – PDF Format
- Hawaii 1915c HCBS Waiver Application, Amendment #2 – April 2022 – PDF Format
- Waiver Provider Standards – Appendices & Resources – Effective July 1, 2021 – PDF Format
- Waiver Provider Standards Manual – Effective July 1, 2021 – PDF Format
- Summary of Public Comments for 2021 Waiver Renewal – PDF Format
- Hawaii 1915c HCBS Medicaid Waiver Application – July 2021