Watershed Planning and Polluted Runoff Control
A watershed-based plan is a strategy and a work plan for achieving water resource goals for a specific watershed. The watershed planning process uses a series of cooperative, iterative steps to characterize existing conditions, identify and prioritize problems, define management objectives, and develop and implement protection or remediation strategies. Resources for developing watershed-based plans include the Hawaiʻi Watershed Guidance and the EPA’s watershed planning handbooks, guides, and tools.
Clean Water Act Section 319 funds are used to develop and implement watershed-based plans. The PRC Program supports and coordinates watershed planning activities. Only watersheds that have watershed-based plans approved by the PRC Program are eligible for Section 319 project funds. Approved watershed-based plans are available to view and download below and are also available on the Clean Water Branch System website. The PRC Program maintains a list of watersheds eligible for Section 319 grants, which are shown in green on the map below.
Below is a list of watersheds with approved watershed-based plans. Watersheds with a TMDL are noted; the full TMDL reports are available on the Clean Water Branch’s Integrated Report and TMDL webpage.
- Hanalei Bay watershed (includes Hanalei, Waikoko, Waipa, and Waioli)
- Nawiliwili Bay watershed (includes Puali, Huleʻia, and Nawiliwili)
- Ala Wai watershed (includes Manoa-Palolo, Makiki, and Ala Wai)
- Honouliuli watershed
- Kaiaka Bay (includes Kiʻikiʻi and Paukauila)
- Kapakahi Stream watershed
- Koʻolaupoko watersheds (includes watersheds from Kualoa to Makapuʻu)
- Maʻiliʻili watershed
- Wailupe Stream watershed
- Kawela watershed
- Southwest Maui watersheds (includes Hapapa, Wailea, Moʻoloa)
- West Maui watersheds (includes Honokowai, Wahikuli, Kahana, Honokahua and Honolua)
- Wahikuli-Honokowai Watershed Management Plan Vol. 1 Watershed Characterization (2012)
- Wahikuli-Honokowai Watershed Management Plan Vol. 2 Strategies and Implementation (2012)
- Kahana, Honokahua and Honolua Watersheds Characterization Report (2016)
- Kahana, Honokahua and Honolua Watersheds Strategies and Implementation Report (2016)
- Kaulana and Hakioawa watersheds
- Kamohio watershed
- Pelekane Bay watershed (Kawaihae watershed)
- Waikoloa-Waiʻulaʻula Stream watershed