Industrial Storm Water

NPDES Permit for Storm Water Discharge from Industrial Activities

As of December 5, 2017 the general permit for industrial storm water has expired. All new applicants for industrial storm water coverage will need to submit a CWB Individual NPDES Application found on the e-Permitting Portal at

Determine whether your facility is a regulated entity

To determine whether you need to obtain National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit coverage you need to find your Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code.  Use of PDF “How do I find my SIC and NAICS codes” can help you to do that.  Once you have determined your SIC code, use PDF “Regulated SIC codes” to determine whether your code is a NPDES regulated code.  If it is, you will need to obtain either NPDES permit coverage or request a Conditional “No-Exposure” Exclusion (CNEE) from NPDES permit requirements.

Conditional “No-Exposure” Exclusion (CNEE)

You can obtain a CNEE if all of your commercial/industrial activities or products do not come into contact with any precipitation including any storm water runoff.  The following presentation has more details so that you can determine whether you meet the requirements and, if you do, how to complete the “No-Exposure” Certification form found at:
Some of the online application process has changed a little, but the main procedures are still covered.  Also as a reference, EPA Guidance Manual for Conditional Exclusion from Storm Water Permitting Based on “No Exposure” of Industrial Activities to Storm Water is provided for your information, however, please note that the CWB is delegated NPDES Permitting authority and the entire EPA document is for reference only (Note: do not submit forms in this EPA Guidance Manual).

You will need to apply online and mail/deliver to our office a submission package that must include:
1. The original Transmittal Requirements and Certification Statement for e-Permitting “No-Exposure” Certification Submissions with the original ink signature
of the Certifying Person indicated on your NOI form.
2. A CD or DVD with electronic documents that include at a minimum:

a. CWB “No-Exposure” Certification Form
b. TMK Spreadsheet