319 Grant Program

319(h) Grant Funding Information

Photo of a group planting a Hau Tree and removing non-native, invasive grasses.

319 Projects often include an element of restoration. Pictured above, a volunteer plants a Hau Tree (Hibiscus tiliaceus) while others remove non-native, invasive grasses.

The Polluted Runoff Control (PRC) Program administers grant money it receives from the EPA (through Section 319(h) of the Federal Clean Water Act) to address polluted runoff. Section 319(h) funds support the implementation of polluted runoff control projects on a watershed or waterbody scale. Generally, 319-funded projects implement a component of an existing watershed management plan, total maximum daily load (TMDL), or other work/action plan to address water quality issues. Projects have a reasonable expectation of delivering water quality improvements. Information on previously funded 319 projects can be found at the Hawai’i Water Quality Extension Program.

At a minimum, grant recipients must provide 25% matching funds or in-kind contributions from non-federal sources. To learn more about matching requirements for EPA grants, visit the Code of Federal Regulations EPA 40 CFR Ch.1 (7-1-98 Edition) §31.24: Matching or cost sharing (3pp, 22K).

Photo of a woman planting a Kukui Tree.

Planting a Kukui Tree
(Aleurites moluccana)

Submitting a 319(h) Grant Proposal

The PRC Program typically issues a Request for Proposals (RFP) on an annual basis to solicit qualified projects for grant funding. The most recent RFP can be found here: FY18 PRC Program Implementation Projects RFP.

State and local entities that are legally considered governmental institutions may be eligible for 319(h) funding outside of the RFP if funds are available.

Contact the PRC Program ([email protected] or 808-586-4309) for more information about submitting grant proposals or to receive copies of the most recent RFPs.

PRC Program Resources