The Office of Language Access (OLA) provides centralized oversight, coordination, and technical assistance to State agencies (the executive, legislative and judicial branches of Hawai‘i’s state government) and organizations that receive state funding, regarding the implementation requirements of Hawai‘i’s Language Access Law.
The goal of the OLA is to ensure that no person is denied access to State or State-funded services due to their limited ability to speak, read, write or understand the English language.
Save the Date Friday, August 14, 2015 Save the Date Flyer COFA -June 25 FINAL “Language Access, Social Justice & Hawaiʻi’s COFA Residents” This year’s conference will explore the challenges to achieving language access and social justice for Hawaiʻi’s residents from the Compact of Free Association (COFA) nations, (the Federated States of Micronesia (Pohnpei, Yap, Chuuk, and Kosrae); the Republic of the Marshall Islands; and the Republic of Palau) – with a special focus on: Health Care, Homelessness, and Education.
Click here for the full conference agenda – 8th Annual OLA Conference – FINAL Flyer -Full Agenda.
LANGUAGE ACCESS ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETINGS
- There is no Language Access Advisory Council meeting for the month of August.
- Language Access Advisory Council monthly meeting, Wednesday, July 08, 2015 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. at UI Administrative Conference room 325, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813. Meeting Agenda.
- Language Access Advisory Council monthly meeting, Wednesday, June 10, 2015 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. at Director’s Conference room 320, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813. Meeting Agenda
- Language Access Advisory Council monthly meeting, Wednesday, May 13, 2015 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. at Director’s Conference room 320, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813. This meeting was cancelled.
- Language Access Advisory Council monthly meeting, Wednesday, April 08, 2015 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. at Director’s Conference room 320, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi. Meeting Agenda
WORKSHOPS & TRAININGS
- Language Access & Law Enforcement March 9-13, 2015 Workshop Series for State & County Law Enforcement Personnel – featured speakers are Alyssa Lareau, Esq., Staff Attorney, Federal Coordination and Compliance Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. and Deputy Chief Lyn Tomioka, Chief of Staff, San Francisco Police Department, CA. Workshops will be held on Kauai, Maui and Big Island. This workshop will cover:
- Hawaiʻi’s Language Access Law; state/county demographics; OLA functions
- Federal Language Access Law: mandates, law suits, investigations, compliance requirements
- Practical Application from U.S. Department of Justice perspective
- Practical Application – lessons from San Francisco Police Department
- Translation of Vital Documents 2-day workshop for agencies, conducted by Kleber Palma, Director, New York City Department of Education Translation and Interpretation Unit. Thursday & Friday – January 22-23, 2015 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM @ King Kamehameha Wing Auditorium & Lounge, Queen’s Medical Center, 1301 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi.
- Translation Workshop January 2015 – Language Access Law Basics – OLA – Rebecca Gardner, J.D.
- OLA – Translation of Vital Documents Serafin Jun Colmenares, Jr., Ph.D._ January 2015
- Questions on workshop content? Contact Office of Language Access: (808) 586-8730 or email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Court Interpreter Workshop 2014 with Holly Mikkelson, Associate Professor, Monterey Institute of International Studies. December 5 & 6, 2014, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Campus Center Ballroom.
- Court Interpreter Workshop – Dec 5 and 6 – Agenda
- U.S. FEDERAL LANGUAGE ACCESS LAW AGENCY COMPLIANCE WORKSHOP – presented by Bruce Adelson, CEO, Federal Compliance Consulting, LLC, October 22-23, 2014, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. at Queen’s Conference Center, Queen’s Medical Center, 510 S. Beretania Street, Honolulu, HI 96813. The Queeen’s Conference Center will validate your parking ticket $5.00 per day, for first 75, POB I & II. (Physician’s Office Building) QMC MAP attached. Two day program agenda. Federal Language Access Law Compliance Workshop Flyer
- Hawaii’s Language Access Law: Parallels with Federal Law– Rebecca Gardner
- Governor’s Message No. 1320 – Relating to Language Access ACT 217 (13) Establishes and provides appropriations for a Statewide Language Access Resource Center and Multilingual Website Pilot Project to be administered by the Office of Language Access. Effective July 1, 2013.
- Governor’s message no. 1304 – Relating to the Office of Language Access ACT 201 (12) Transferring the Office of Language Access along with its functions and duties from the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations to the Department of Health.
OLA Newsletter, Notices, Other Information
- OLA Quarterly Newsletter, Winter 2015 Edition
- OLA Quarterly Newsletter, Fall 2014 Edition.
- “If you need an interpreter….” Poster 11×17