The Office of Language Access (OLA) provides centralized oversight, coordination, and technical assistance to State agencies (the executive, legislative and judicial branches of Hawai‘i’s state government) and organizations that receive state funding, regarding the implementation requirements of Hawai‘i’s Language Access Law.
The goal of the OLA is to ensure that no person is denied access to State or State-funded services due to their limited ability to speak, read, write or understand the English language.
LANGUAGE ACCESS ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETINGS
- Language Access Advisory Council monthly meeting, Wednesday, February 11, 2015 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. at Director’s Conference room 320, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi.
- Language Access Advisory Council meeting, Wednesday, January 14, 2015 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. at Director’s Conference room 320, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, 830 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi.
- Language Access Advisory Council Meeting, Wednesday, December 10, 2014 @ 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. at Kinau Hale, conference room 119, Department of Health, 1250 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 96813.
WORKSHOPS & TRAININGS
- Translation of Vital Documents 2-day workshop for agencies, conducted by Kleber Palma, Director, New York City Department of Education Translation and Interpretation Unit. Thursday & Friday – January 22-23, 2015 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM @ King Kamehameha Wing Auditorium & Lounge, Queen’s Medical Center, 1301 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi.
- Translation Workshop January 2015 – Language Access Law Basics – OLA – Rebecca Gardner, J.D.
- OLA – Translation of Vital Documents Serafin Jun Colmenares, Jr., Ph.D._ January 2015
- Questions on workshop content? Contact Office of Language Access: (808) 586-8730 or email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Court Interpreter Workshop 2014 with Holly Mikkelson, Associate Professor, Monterey Institute of International Studies. December 5 & 6, 2014, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, Campus Center Ballroom.
- Court Interpreter Workshop – Dec 5 and 6 – Agenda
- U.S. FEDERAL LANGUAGE ACCESS LAW AGENCY COMPLIANCE WORKSHOP – presented by Bruce Adelson, CEO, Federal Compliance Consulting, LLC, October 22-23, 2014, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. at Queen’s Conference Center, Queen’s Medical Center, 510 S. Beretania Street, Honolulu, HI 96813. The Queeen’s Conference Center will validate your parking ticket $5.00 per day, for first 75, POB I & II. (Physician’s Office Building) QMC MAP attached. Two day program agenda. Federal Language Access Law Compliance Workshop Flyer
- Hawaii’s Language Access Law: Parallels with Federal Law- Rebecca Gardner
- Governor’s Message No. 1320 – Relating to Language Access ACT 217 (13) Establishes and provides appropriations for a Statewide Language Access Resource Center and Multilingual Website Pilot Project to be administered by the Office of Language Access. Effective July 1, 2013.
- Governor’s message no. 1304 – Relating to the Office of Language Access ACT 201 (12) Transferring the Office of Language Access along with its functions and duties from the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations to the Department of Health.
OLA Newsletter, Notices, Other Information
- OLA Quarterly Newsletter, Winter 2015 Edition
- OLA Quarterly Newsletter, Fall 2014 Edition.
- “If you need an interpreter….” Poster 11×17