319 Grant Program

319(h) Grant Funding Information

Photo of a group planting a Hau Tree and removing non-native, invasive grasses.

319 Projects often include an element of restoration. Pictured above, a volunteer plants a Hau Tree (Hibiscus tiliaceus) while others remove non-native, invasive grasses.

The Polluted Runoff Control Program administers grant money it receives from the EPA through Section 319(h) of the Federal Clean Water Act  to address Hawai`i’s polluted runoff. Generally, projects must include activities related to polluted runoff control—as outlined in the  Coastal Nonpoint Pollution Control Management Plan (June 1996) and Hawai`i’s Implementation Plan for Polluted Runoff Control (July 2000)—within the priority watersheds.   Proposals may include all watersheds or focus on particular subwatersheds. For guidance on how to write a proposal, visit EPA’s Tips on Writing a Grant Proposal page.

Proposed projects should include implementation of a component of an existing watershed management plan, total maximum daily load (TMDL), or other work/action plan to address water quality issues. Projects should have a reasonable expectation of delivering water quality improvements. For further guidance on the preferred content of a watershed plan, visit EPA’s Handbook for Developing Watershed Plans to Restore and Protect Our Waters.

At a minimum, grant recipients must provide 25% matching funds or in-kind contributions from non-federal sources. To learn more about matching requirements for EPA grants, visit the Code of Federal Regulations EPA 40 CFR Ch.1 (7-1-98 Edition) §31.24: Matching or cost sharing (3pp, 22K). Information on previously funded 319 projects can be found at the Hawai`i Water Quality Extension Program.

Submitting a 319(h) Grant Proposal

The Polluted Runoff Control Program typically issues a Request for Proposals (RFP) on an annual basis to solicit qualified projects for grant funding. Attached is RFP No. CWB-PRC 14-01 Addendum 1.

Section 319(h) funds support the implementation of larger or multiple polluted runoff control projects on a watershed or waterbody scale, instead of supporting small polluted runoff control demonstration projects.

State and local entities that are legally considered to be a governmental institution may be eligible for 319(h) funding outside of the RFP if funds are available.

Contact the Polluted Runoff Control Program (CleanWaterBranch@doh.hawaii.gov or 808-586-4309) for more information about submitting grant proposals or to receive copies of the most recent RFP.

2014 Ma’ili’ili RFP

Attached is RFP No. CWB-PRC 14-02 Ma’ili’ili, to solicit projects arising from a Supplemental Environmental Project (SEP) settlement agreement between the State Department of Health’s Clean Water Branch and the City and County of Honolulu. Proposals from this RFP shall be located in the Ma’ili’ili Watershed only. The conditions for this SEP-funded RFP differ from the Polluted Runoff Control Program’s annual 319(h)-funded RFP, so please pay careful attention to each specific RFP’s requirements and deadlines.

Photo of a woman planting a Kukui Tree.

Planting a Kukui Tree
(Aleurites moluccana)

Priority Watersheds for 319 Funding




    • Ko’olaupoko Watersheds (Includes Windward Oahu Watersheds from Kualoa to Makapuu





319 Resources