Minor Applicants

It’s NOT okay to drive a motor vehicle when under the influence of medical cannabis.


Can someone under the age of 18 years old register to use medical cannabis? YES – A written certification from a physician for a debilitating medical condition must be obtained for the minor. In addition, the physician must have explained the potential risks and benefits to both the minor and the minor’s parent or legal guardian.

Is a caregiver required for a minor participant? YES – the parent, guardian or legal custodian must register as the minor participant’s primary caregiver AND consent in writing to allow the use of medical cannabis by the minor, and control the acquisition, dosage and frequency of medical cannabis use by the minor.

Can a minor enter a dispensary? – Minor patients may enter a dispensary only if they are accompanied by the caregiver named on their 329 card. Both the minor patient and the caregiver must present their valid 329 card and a valid state drivers license, valid state I.D., or a passport book (not a passport card). If the minor patient has neither I.D. listed above, they may take their birth certificate.

Is valid identification still required if the participant is a minor? YES – a parent, guardian or legal custodian that is applying on behalf of the minor qualifying patient may submit a birth certificate as valid identification for the minor.

Does the parent, guardian or legal custodian need to provide valid identification? YES – all caregivers must provide valid identification AND, in the case of minor qualifying patient, the parent, guardian or legal custodian must also attest he/she has the legal authority to make health care decisions on behalf of the minor.

In cases of joint legal custody, are both individuals required to sign the application? YES – anytime there is joint legal custody, and specifically if the joint legal custody is with regard to health care decisions, both individuals with legal authority are required to sign the application.