New Patient Application & Registration
It’s NOT okay to drive a motor vehicle when under the influence of medical cannabis.
DOH recommends that all potentially qualifying patients begin the discussion of whether or not medical cannabis is the right treatment option for their condition with the physician/APRN that is currently treating them for that condition. All certifying physicians/APRN must have a valid Hawaii Medical License number and a valid Hawaii Controlled Substance License number.
Applicants should check their account at medmj.ehawaii.gov WEEKLY for registration status updates.
FIRST TIME PATIENT REGISTRATION PROCESS
Effective January 1, 2016
- Schedule an appointment with your physician/APRN to be certified.
- Go to https://login.ehawaii.gov and create a “free” secure account. Remember your username and password.
- View Instructions Overview video of the application process).
- Fill out the online application and upload any required documents (i.e. clear copy of your valid ID). Click here for detailed instructions on how to complete the online application. Click here for some helpful tips on submitting a complete application.
- Pay – the cost is $38.50 ($35 application fee + $3.50 portal administration fee); you must pay with a credit/debit card or direct withdrawal from a savings or checking account. All fees are non-refundable, even if a card is NOT issued. Applications that use direct withdrawals from savings or checking accounts will not be processed until a minimum of 10 business days from debit date (to be sure it clears your account). Applications that use credit/debit card payment will have the shortest turnaround time.
- Submit your application to your physician/APRN.
- Once your physician/APRN certifies your condition and submits your application to DOH, your application will be in queue for processing. Patients can NOT submit their application directly to DOH.
- DOH will review applications in the order received.
- Incomplete applications will be electronically returned to the patient or physician/APRN for corrections.
- Please note: making corrections to your information at https://login.ehawaii.gov is NOT the same as making changes to your Medical Cannabis Registry account at https://medmj.ehawaii.gov.
- DOH recommends that applicants check their registration status WEEKLY to ensure a speedy issuance of the 329 Card.
- Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email notification and your 329 card will be mailed shortly after to the mailing address listed in your application. All 329 cards are mailed directly to the patient.
- Patients are responsible for ensuring that their caregiver gets the caregiver 329 card.
Please be advised that patients and caregivers are not authorized for the medical use of cannabis until such time that they receive their 329 card registration card from the Department of Health, Medical Cannabis Program and they must keep both their valid ID and valid 329 card on them whenever they are in possession of medical cannabis.