Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for a placard?

  • Your physician or Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) must certify that you have a mobility disability which prevents you from being able to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest or requires the use of a mobility aid device. The physician or APRN must have a Hawaii medical license unless they are a military officer stationed in Hawaii.


Does someone who is blind, deaf, or has a developmental disability including autism qualify?

  • No, as these do not prevent someone from walking unassisted.


Does my newborn infant qualify?

  • Children under the age of one do not qualify unless they require special equipment, which includes, but is not limited to, a wheelchair, ventilator, or portable oxygen.


Am I eligible for the Disabled Paid Parking Exemption Permit (green placard).

  • You are eligible if you have a valid driver’s license and your physician/APRN certifies your mobility disability and that due to a disability you:
    1. Cannot reach above the applicant’s head to a height of 42 inches from the ground due to a lack of finger, hand, or upper extremity strength or mobility; or
    2. Cannot approach a parking meter due to the use of a wheelchair or other mobility device; or
    3. Cannot manage, manipulate, and insert coins, bills, or cards in a parking meter or pay station due to a lack of fine motor control in both hands.


How do I apply?

  • Complete side one of form PA-3 and have your physician or APRN complete side two. The form is posted on our website, your physician or APRN may have it, or DCAB can mail it upon request. DCAB also has hard (paper) copies available in our office at 1010 Richards Street #118, Honolulu, HI 96813, but our building does not have any parking. The various county issuing sites also have hard (paper) copies available for pickup.
  • Visit this webpage for the form and information on how to submit it.


My physician or APRN filled out an older application form (PA1 or PA2). Can I submit it?

  • Yes, we accept older application forms.


How long is my physicians or APRNs signature valid for?

  • 60 days if certified for a temporary (six month or less) placard.
  • 180 days if certified for a long term (six years) placard.


How far in advance can I apply for a renewal of a long term placard?

  • DCAB will process completed applications 60 days prior to expiration of the current placard. The physician/APRN signature is valid for six months, so if you mail it within six months of expiration DCAB will hold the form and process 60 days from expiration.


Can I walk my application into DCAB instead of mailing it?

  • Yes, but our building does not have parking and the placard will be mailed out the following day.


Can I have two placards?

  • State law allows you to have:
    1.  two temporary placards; or
    2.  one long term placard and if you are on a vehicle title, one special license plate for that vehicle, or
    3. one DPPEP and if you are on a vehicle title, one special license plate for that vehicle.


How do I replace a lost, stolen, or confiscated placard?


How do I replace a mutilated placard?


How do I replace a lost, stolen, confiscated, or mutilated ID card?

  • DCAB can mail you a new ID card upon request (no charge).


How much does a disability placard cost?

  • A first time or renewal of a temporary placard costs $12. A replacement of a lost, confiscated, or stolen long-term or temporary placard cost $12. There is no charge to replace a mutilated placard. There is no charge for first time or renewal of long-term placards; or for first time or renewal of a DPPEP. A set of special disabled license plates costs $5.50 in Hawaii County and the City and County of Honolulu, $6.00 in Kauai County, and $6.25 in Maui County.”. A replacement of a lost, confiscated, or stolen DPPEP has an escalating fee, refer to this webpage for more information


What do I do if I never received my placard in the mail?

  • If it is within 30 days of the expiration of your placard or 30 days since the new placard was mailed, whichever is more recent, upon request DCAB will send an affidavit of non-receipt. Upon submission of that form, the missing placard will be invalidated and a new one issued. If it has been longer than 30 days from expiration or issuance, the placard is considered lost and you may apply at the county for a replacement placard along with a $12 fee.


Why do I need a physician or APRN to certify my condition every time I apply for a renewal of my placard?

  • Disabilities may improve over time, so it is important that periodic certification by a physician or APRN occurs. The long-term placards are currently valid for a six year period.


Are my disability parking placards issued in another state or country valid while visiting Hawaii?

  • Yes, our laws state that placards issued by other states and countries are recognized in Hawaii and may be used to park in reserved accessible spaces. They do not provide any parking fee exemptions.


How do I contest a parking citation?