Bacteriology and Parasitology
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”9″ gal_title=”sld-bacti”]
- Provides confirmation of specimens submitted under Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Chapter 11-156, such as Corynebacterium diphtheriae, Haemophilus influenza B, Listeria monocytogenes, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, PPNG, Neisseria meningitidis, Campylobacter spp., Vibrio spp., Salmonella spp. Shigella spp., and Yersinia spp
- Confirms or completes findings of other laboratories lacking resources to conduct specialized procedures on isolates of significance to the Department of Health.
- Provides resources for laboratory resources required in epidemiological surveillance studies.
- Provides Salmonella and Shigella serological typing services to identify enteric organisms involved in outbreaks, and provides epidemiological data on tracking of these organisms.
- Provides laboratory confirmation on consultative services on blood and enteric parasites to programs of the Department and other laboratories.
Bacterial Serology Unit:
- Performs Standard Test for syphilis (STS) for prenatal diagnostic and reference testing.
- Performs treponemal specific STS to confirm all positive sera submitted in accordance with HAR, Chapter 11-156.
- Performs other serological tests for the detection of antibodies against bacterial and parasitological agents such as Toxoplasma gondii, Leptospira spp., and Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
STD: 2010-2019 Hawaii Antibiogram for N. gonorrhoeae Isolates
Specimen Requirements for: