SPINAL CORD INJURY RESOURCES
- United Spinal Cord Association
United Spinal Association is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of all people with a spinal cord injury or disease.
- Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation
Dedicated to advancing quality of life and discovering cures for spinal cord injury in the here and now.
- Think First National Injury Prevention Foundation
ThinkFirst offers evidence based injury prevention program for students of all ages through their network of healthcare-based chapters. Health educators and people who have experienced brain or spinal cord injuries help students understand the importance of making safe choices related to vehicles, sports, violence, and falls.
- Understanding Spinal Cord Injury
- Living with a Spinal Cord Injury: A Guide for the Newly Injured
- Department of Health, Neurotrauma Supports
- Department of Health, EMS & Injury Prevention System Branch
- Hawaiʻi Disability Rights Center
1132 Bishop Street, Suite 2102, Honolulu, HI 96813
Tel: (808) 949-2922 · Fax: (808) 949-2928
Our mission is to protect and promote the human, civil and legal rights of individuals with disabilities through the provision of information and advocacy.
- Hawaiʻi Disability and Communication Access Board (DCAB)
919 Ala Moana Blvd., Room 101, Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 586-8121
Email: [email protected]
DCAB serves as public advocate of persons with disabilities by providing advice and recommendation on legislation, rules, policies, procedures, and plans relating to persons with disabilities and their civil rights or service needs.
- Hawaiʻi Medicaid Office
- Department of Human Services of Hawaiʻ
PO Box 339, Honolulu, HI 96809
Phone: (808) 524-3370
TTY: (808) 692-7182
For information on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) visit: https://www.ssa.gov/disability/
Overview of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Hawaiʻi Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services
Interested in applying for services:
Honolulu: (808) 586-4824
Kapolei: (808) 692-8604
Deaf Section: (808) 447-1454 (VP)
Blind Branch: (808) 586-5269 (V/TTY)
Hilo: (808) 974-6444
Kona: (808) 323-0025
Līhuʻe: (808) 274-3333
Maui, Moloka‘i, & Lana‘i: (808) 984-8350
- Inspired: Spinal Cord Injury Support Community — Inspired is a Spinal Cord Injury Support Forum which offers support for those affected by Spinal Cord Injuries and their families.
- CareCure Community (SpineWire)— This site provides information and discussion forums for the spinal cord injury community. Also contains articles, lectures and other resources that might be of interest to people with a spinal cord injury. The site is provided by the Spinal Cord Injury Project of the W. M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience at Rutgers University for the spinal cord injury community.
- Spinal Cord Injury Caregivers Forum — Private email and chat regarding the care and issues dealing with spinal cord injuries. The Spinal Cord Injury Caregivers Forum supports those caregivers who are immediate family members of those diagnosed with a traumatic or catastrophic spinal cord injury, and supports those with spinal cord injury.
- Spinal Cord Injury and Paralysis Community —“Community Discussions” at the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.
- Aloha Medical Supplies
333 Keahole St. (Hawaiʻi Kai Towne Center), Honolulu, HI 96825
- ACE Medical Inc
2130 S. Beretania St., Honolulu, HI 96826
- Coastal Medical Supply
560 N. Nimitz Hwy., Honolulu, HI 96817
- Dauterman Healthcare-Mobility
1350 S. King St. Honolulu, HI 96814
- Rainbow Medical Supply
16-186 Kalara St., Keaau, HI 96749
3206 Akahi St. Lihue, HI 96766
292 Alamaha St., Kahului, HI 96732
- Apria Healhcare
431 Alamaha St. Kahului, HI 96732
- Transfer Training Workshop
HOME HEALTH CARE – private duty
- Arcadia Home Health Services
- Attention Plus Care
- Bayada Home Health Care
- Castle Personal Care
- Kaiser Home Health Agency
- Kokua Nurses Home Health
- Wahiawa General Hospital Home Health
Serves Mililani to North Shore area.
- Wilson Homecare
- Spinal Cord Injury Program
- Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific
Contact: Dr. Amendeep Somal at:
Phone: (808) 544-3325
SPORTS AND RECREATION
- Access Surf – Access Surf is a nonprofit organization that provides beach access and therapeutic ocean activities such as surfing, swimming, snorkeling and shoreline floatation to kids and adults with any type of disability.
PO Box 15152
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96830
Phone: (808) 236-4200
- Pure Light Racing – Pure Light Racing organizes outrigger canoe paddling sessions for individual adapted paddlers in the Honolulu area, free of charge. The paddling sessions are open to anyone with a physical disability, regardless of age, ethnicity, income level or religion. Held on the 2ndSaturday of every month.
Email: [email protected]
- Kihei Canoe Club- Adaptive Paddling Program – In collaboration with the County of Maui Department of Parks and Recreation, Halau Maui Nui O Kama and Access Sport America, Kihei Canoe Club hosts an Adaptive Paddling Program – a unique blend of people helping people.
Phone: (808) 879-5505
- The Reeve Foundation Peer & Family Support Program (PFSP) – This group’s aim is to offer a peer to peer mentoring program for those experiencing a spinal cord injury. There is also information for friends, family members, and caregivers. You can gain emotional support and find local and national resources which may help with your recovery process. By matching you with a mentor of a similar age, location, type of paralysis, length of paralysis, etc., the PFSP allows you to gain wisdom and insight into the life experiences of the mentor.
- Inspired Spinal Cord Injury Support Community – This is an interactive forum where members discuss any and everything related to spinal cord injuries. Members include survivors, spouses, family members, caretakers, and others who have a connection to the spinal cord injury community. Most topics are open for members and non-members to view and topics are arranged by category so visitors can more easily find information about the topic they are interested in. The website was founded by SCI survivors and fosters a positive and supportive environment while addressing challenging topics.
Hawaiʻi AT LOAN Program
Assistive Technology Resource Centers of Hawaiʻi
Link people with technology and empower individuals through its use.
414 Kuwili St., Suite 104
Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone: (808) 532-7112
Email: [email protected]
- Charley’s Taxi- Medicab
1451 S. King St., Suite 300, Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 531-1333
- Persons with Disabilities Parking Permit
Disability & Communication Access Board
Applications also available at Satellite City Halls
919 Ala Moana Blvd. #101, Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 586-8121
- HandiVan – A public transit service for persons with disabilities who are unable to ride the City bus service, The BUS.
Customer Service, Reservations, & Cancellations/Late Pick Up
- Handi-Van Eligibility Center
1100 Ward Ave., suite 835, Honolulu HI 96814
Phone: (808) 538-0033
Download Handi-Van Eligibility Brochure – PDF Format
- The Bus – Oʻahu Transit Services
Bus Pass Office: (808) 848-4444
Customer Services: (808) 848-4444
Schedules and Routes: (808) 848-5555
- REHAB Hospital Driving Evaluation & Training Program – Program to help maintain safe driving skills and determine if you need any adaptive equipment to drive safely. This program is for people with a medical condition that possibly impairs driving ability.
226 Kuakini St. Honolulu, HI 96817