SCI Reference Library
SCI PDF Resources
|Spinal Injury 101||Understanding SCI Booklet|
|North American Spine Society||NASS Public Education Series|
|Shepherd Center||SCI Student Workbook|
|American Spinal Injury Association||ASIA – Watch Your Back: SCI Awareness|
|Hawaii Concussion Awareness & Management Program||HCAMP – Project: Head, Neck, Spine|
Living with SCI
|Paralyzed Veterans of America||A Guide to Self-Care for Persons with SCI|
|SCI Model System||Understanding SCI – The Before and After Injury|
|Craig Hospital||Craig Hospital – SCI Handbook|
- Thuret, S., Moon, L. & Gage, F. Therapeutic interventions after spinal cord injury. Nat Rev Neurosci 7, 628–643 (2006).
- Martin Ginis, K.A., van der Scheer, J.W., Latimer-Cheung, A.E. et al. Evidence-based scientific exercise guidelines for adults with spinal cord injury: an update and a new guideline. Spinal Cord 56, 308–321 (2018).
- Cao, Y., Krause, J.S. The association between secondary health conditions and indirect costs after spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord 59, 306–310 (2021).
- McKay, W.B., Sweatman, W.M. & Field-Fote, E.C. The experience of spasticity after spinal cord injury: perceived characteristics and impact on daily life. Spinal Cord 56, 478–486 (2018).
- Florian P. Thomas & Carolann Murphy (2021) Serving the diverse community of spinal cord injury professionals: Topics and trends in research and care, The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, 44:2, 167-168, DOI.
SCI Medical Terminology
|Ambulation||A walking motion often aided by braces and/or crutches. Using functional electrical stimulation (FES) to fire their leg muscles, people with paralysis can ambulate short distances.|
|Central Cord Syndrome||Trauma to the center part of the cord only; may affect arms but not leg movement.|
|The manner in which a human or animal walks.|
|L1||Surface, or cell adhesion, protein with that encourages the regrowth of nerve fibers.|
|Plasticity||Ability of nerve circuitry to remodel itself.|
For more SCI medical terminology, please visit Christopher Reeve Foundation – Spinal Cord Injury Glossary.
- NINH – National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke – Disorders. June 09, 2021.
- National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, Facts and Figures at a Glance. Birmingham, AL: University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2020. June 09, 2021
- Mayo Clinic – Spinal Cord Injury – Diseases and Conditions. June 14, 2021.
- Shepherd Center – Spinal Cord Injury. June 17, 2021.
- Hollister Incorporated – Spinal Cord Injury Complications. June 17, 2021.
- WebMD – Living with a Spinal Cord Injury Concerns of the Caregiver.
- University of Michigan Health – Michigan Medicine, Spinal Cord Injury: Adapting Your Home. June 17, 2021.
- Spinal Cord.com – What are the Best Apps for Spinal Cord Injury Caregivers. June 17, 2021.
- Christopher& Dana Reeve Foundation – Spinal Cord Glossary. June 17, 2021.