EARLY INTERVENTION SERVICES
If you are concerned about a child’s development or would like to make a referral, please call our Hawaii Keiki Information Service System (H-KISS) information and referral line at 808-594-0066 for Oahu or 1-800-235-5477 for Neighbor Islands. To make a referral by fax, please click here to download referral form.
Services are provided to assist a child in five developmental areas:
Physical (sits, walks)
Cognitive (pay attention, solve problems)
Communication (talks, understand)
Social or emotional (plays with others, has confidence)
- Adaptive (eats, dresses self)
For a list of services that are provided, please click here.
All eligible children will have a care coordinator. The care coordinator assists the family in:
- Gathering information from families that includes needs, priorities, concerns, and daily activities;
- Having a child evaluated;
- Developing an Individualized Family Support Plan that identifies services and support to address the needs of the family and child;
- Linking the family to program and services;
- Providing family support; and
- Supporting transition from EIS at age 3 to the Department of Education Special Education Preschool, Head Start, or other community preschools.
Eligibility: A child is eligible for services if a child has a delay in development or is at-risk of developing a delay. For more information on eligibility, please click here.
Locations: Services are available on ALL islands through public and private Early Intervention programs.
No Cost: There is no cost to families and no income restrictions. Whenever possible, however, payments are accessed through Medicaid or private medical insurance with parental permission.