Marriage and Civil Union Licenses

For any person to lawfully marry in the State of Hawaii, a license for that purpose must be obtained from an authorized agent (Section 572-1.7, Hawaii Revised Statutes). Once the license has been issued, there is no waiting period before the marriage can take place.

A marriage license and marriage certificate are different documents. The marriage license permits a marriage to take place. The marriage certificate indicates that a legal marriage has been performed.

How to Apply for a Marriage or Civil Union License

1. Complete the online application  click here: at and pay the required fee.

  • Please be sure to write down or print your Authorization Code/Locator Identification (ID).

2. Meet with an agent no more/sooner than 30 days prior to your ceremony date. During the meeting the agent will review your application, verify photo IDs and any necessary documentation, and issue the license.

  • Applicants must appear together in person before an agent prior to the ceremony to pick up their license. Proxies are not allowed.
  • Both applicants must present a valid government issued photo ID (Passport, Driver License, State ID, etc.).

3. Have your official ceremony within 30 days of picking up your license.

  • There is no waiting period before the ceremony can take place.
  • The license is only valid within the State of Hawaii.
  • If the ceremony is not performed within the 30-day period, the license is null and void.


The cost to obtain a marriage or civil union license is $65.00 ($60 application fee + $5 portal fee).  All fees are non-refundable.


  • There are no state residence or U.S. citizenship requirements.
  • Blood tests are not required.
  • The legal age to enter into a legal marriage or civil union is 18 years old..
  • Proof of age is required.  A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 years of age or under.  Parental or Guardian consent is required with governmental issued photo identification and documentation of relationship.  For more information regarding applicants under the age of 18, please contact us  click here at: [email protected]
  • If previously married, proof of original divorce decree or death certificate needs to be presented to the marriage agent by the applicant if the divorce or death occurred less than 30 days prior to picking up the license.
  • Cousins may marry. However, the blood relationship between the prospective applicants cannot be closer than first cousins.

Where to Obtain a Marriage and/or Civil Union License and Schedule an APPOINTMENT

The main office is located on Oahu at:

Health State Department of Health – Kinau Hale

1250 Punchbowl Street  Room 101

Honolulu, Hawaii  96813

Phone Number:  (808) 586-4544

Email: [email protected]

We are open Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (excluding holidays).  Metered parking is available in front of the building with entry from Punchbowl Street.  Fees (subject to change) are currently $2 per hour (payable by cash or credit card).

Appointment for the Oahu office can be booked online (click below) or by email.

Schedule an Appointment with Hawaii Department of Health Marriage License Office

For more information about agents on the neighbor islands, please call the respective district health offices:

Hawaii Island (Big Island): (808) 974-6008
Kauai: (808) 241-3498
Maui: (808) 984-8210
Molokai: (808) 553-7870

Private agents are also located within the community.  Click Here for an Agent Listing June 2024

 who have agreed to have their contact information posted.

Documentation Required

  • Valid government issued photo ID (Passport, Driver License, State ID, etc.).
  • Certified divorce decree (if applicable)
    • Required if the divorce was finalized less than 30 days prior to picking up the license.
    • If divorce decree is not written in English, you must also present a certified translation of the document.
  • Certified death certificate (if applicable)
    • Required if the death occurred/was/happened less than 30 days prior to picking up the license.
    • If the death certificate is not written in English, you must also present a certified translation of the document.
  • Any applicant under the age of 19 must present a certified copy of their birth certificate.
  • Certified copy of a Legal Name Change (if applicable)
  • Additional documentation may be required depending on the circumstances and at the discretion of each agent.

Become a Licensed Performer in Hawaii

Licenses to perform marriages and civil unions are issued by the State of Hawaii Department of Health pursuant to section 572-12, Hawaii Revised Statutes.  All marriage performers (officiants or solemnizers) must be licensed by the State of Hawaii before performing a marriage or civil union.

Performers must register online (click here) to obtain a license to perform marriages or civil unions. Shortly after registering online, the performer will receive an email notification for application approval. This email will contain a link to the performer’s license and a username and password to the electronic registration system for marriage (includes civil unions).

If any information on the application is missing or not subject to on-line verification, a delay will be necessary for manual verification of the applicant’s eligibility to perform a marriage or civil union.

To register to perform marriages or civil unions online (click here), then click “Performers” → “Registration”

To view the application screenshots and instructions for the electronic performer registration system, click here.