Genealogy Requests

How to Apply for a Genealogy Request

Applications for issuance of copies of vital records by an individual working on genealogy projects must be submitted in writing. No telephone or Internet (e-mail) requests will be accepted. Send applications by postal mail to:

State Department of Health
Office of Health Status Monitoring
Issuance/Vital Statistics Section
P.O. Box 3378
Honolulu, HI 96801

The application should include the following information:

  • Name of the applicant;
  • If appropriate, the organization or agency employing, endorsing, or sponsoring the applicant;
  • A brief description of the genealogical project the applicant is working on;
  • A list of names of individuals whose records the applicant desires to obtain; and
  • The type of record (birth, death, or marriage certificate) or records for each of the named individuals that the applicant desires to obtain.


Any private individual or individual employed, endorsed, or sponsored by a governmental or private organization or agency, working on genealogy projects may apply for issuance of copies of vital records on file with the Department of Health.

For vital records of events that occurred 75 years or less prior to the current year, the applicant must establish a direct and tangible interest in the records.


For issuance of copies of vital records, the applicant will be charged the same fees as for certified copies.  To view costs for certified copies of birth and marriage certificates by mail, go here. Costs for certified copies of death certificates can be found here.

Other Sources

Microfilm copies of selected vital records indexes are available at the Hawaii State Public Library (Main Library, Hawaii and Pacific Collection), located at 478 South King Street in Honolulu. Call (808) 586-3535 for further information.

Indexes to birth records for the years 1896-1909 are available at the Hawaii State Library (Main Library, Hilo, Kahului, Kaneohe, Lihue, and Kailua-Kona), and the University of Hawaii Library, Hawaiian Collection. These are indexes only. Actual birth records are with the Department of Health. Call (808) 956-8264 for further information.

Microfilm copies of selected vital records are available at the Genealogical Society of Utah’s Family History Centers in Hawaii. For further information, call one of the following Centers:

Honolulu:  (808) 955-8910
Kalihi:  (808) 845-9701
Kaneohe:  (808) 247-3134
Laie:  (808) 293-2133
Mililani:  (808) 623-1712
Waipahu:  (808) 678-0752

Kahului: (808) 877-0586

Hawaii Island
Kau:  (808) 929-7123
Kona:  (808) 329-4469