EARLY INTERVENTION BEFORE AGE 6 MONTHS
FOR CHILDREN DIAGNOSED WITH PERMANENT HEARING LOSS
Click here for PDF version of flowchart.
- Review audiological reports for all patients who received a diagnostic evaluation
- Share with parents the Hawaii State Resource Guide for Families of Children with Hearing Loss
- Ensure all children diagnosed with permanent hearing loss are referred to and enrolled in Early Intervention (EI) before 6 months of age
- The EI-1A Referral Form can be found here
- Make appropriate referrals for a medical evaluation to determine the etiology of the hearing loss
- Information about the different types of hearing loss
- Information about amplification options
- Information about communication options
WHAT NHSP CAN DO FOR YOU (808-733-9052)
- Provide information about your local EI services
- Assist with referrals to EI, as well as possible referrals to other agencies for financial assistance for children diagnosed with hearing loss
- If you are unsure if a patient should be referred for further hearing screening or diagnostic testing, for early intervention services, or for financial assistance with other agencies, contact NHSP
More information on the Hawaii Department of Health Early Intervention Services can be found here.
More information on early intervention for hearing loss can be found at the National Center for Hearing Assessment and Management (NCHAM) website here.