Hawaii Newborn Hearing Screening: Provider’s Guide
The purpose of this guide is to provide an overview of the medical provider’s role in newborn hearing screening and resources for carrying out this role.
What is the Practitioner’s Role in Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI)?
Ensure that all patients are on track with the EHDI 1-3-6 plan:
- Screening before age 1 month
- Ensure all newborns in your care have their hearing screened
- Diagnosis before age 3 months
- Ensure all children who did not pass hearing screening receive a diagnostic audiology evaluation
- Intervention before age 6 months
- Ensure all patients diagnosed with a hearing loss are enrolled in Early Intervention
- Refer patients diagnosed with hearing loss for medical evaluation (ENT, ophthalmology, and genetics) to determine etiology
Last update: June 15, 2017