HEALTHY CHILD CARE HAWAII (HCCH)
Promoting the health and safety of young children in child care
Healthy Child Care Hawaii (HCCH) is a collaborative partnership of the University of Hawaii (UH)/School of Medicine/Department of Pediatrics, American Academy of Pediatrics – Hawaii Chapter, Department of Health/Children with Special Health Needs Branch, Department of Health/Public Health Nursing Branch, and Department of Human Services.
HCCH provides information and resource materials to child care providers, health consultants, and other agencies/programs on national health and safety performance standards, medical home, and health insurance.
PROMOTING CHILD DEVELOPMENT
- Developmental Milestones (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC])
- Milestone Tracker App (CDC) – free app for tracking a child’s development
- Hi`ilei Developmental Screening Program – free program to check a child’s development
- Hawaii Developmental Screening and Referral Guidelines for Early Childhood and Community Providers.
RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES – CHILD CARE, FOOD, HEALTH, OTHER SUPPORTS
- Low to No-Cost Early Childhood Development and Learning Programs Resource List
- Child Care Connection Hawaii (Subsidies)
- Choosing Child Care
- EPSDT well child checkups
- The Parent Line
- Sharing Our ‘Ulu. Resources for children age 0-5 years and their families
- DHS 908 Early Childhood Pre-K Health Record Supplement. Required for entry into the Group Child Care Centers, Group Child Care Homes, and Infant & Toddler Child Care Centers. Form is completed in conjunction with the Department of Education (DOE) Form 14.
- DHS 908A Instructions for DHS 908.
RESOURCES – PROMOTING SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Social and Emotional Health
- Supporting School Readiness Through Health
- Toxic Stress
- Building Resilience
- All I Learned About Life I Learned in Preschool
- Teachers Are Key: Assessing Child Development
RESOURCES – PROMOTING NUTRITION AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- Wellness Guidelines for Nutrition and Physical Activity in Hawaii’s Early Childhood Care and Education Settings (2018)
RESOURCES FOR CHILD CARE PROVIDERS AND THEIR HEALTH CONSULTANTS
- Caring for Our Children – National Health and Safety Performance Standards – Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs
- Healthy Child Care (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Model Child Care Health Policies, 5th edition
- Sample Policy – Integration of Mental Health Concepts (HCCH)
- Sample Policy – Personal Health Habits of Staff (HCCH)
- Health and Safety Facility Checklist for Child Care Centers focuses on the areas of safety, outdoor staff interactions, and classrooms. It also includes recommended items for first aid and emergency supplies, procedures for standard precaution, and playground hazards.
- Child Care Law and Regulations (Department of Human Services)
CHILD CARE HEALTH CONSULTATION TRAINING
- Child Care Health Consultant Training
- Child Care Health Consultants – Materials from the National Training Institute for Child Care Health Consultants
Children with Special Health Needs Branch
Hawaii State Department of Health
741 Sunset Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (808) 733-4966