HEALTHY CHILD CARE HAWAII (HCCH)
Healthy Child Care Hawai‘i promotes the health and safety of young children in child care.
HOT TOPICS, 2016:
For early education and care providers and their health consultants
February 23, March 8, April 18, and May 12, 2016
- Recruit and train pediatricians and other health professionals to serve as child care health consultants.
- Connect health consultants with child care programs. Health consultants work with child care providers to promote the healthy development of young children in child care, increase access to preventive health services, and ensure a safe physical environment for children.
- Train pediatric doctors-in-training in recognizing and promoting quality child care. As part of a community rotation, pediatric residents at the University of Hawai‘i visit early care and education sites, become familiar with national health and safety standards, and learn what constitutes high quality child care.
- Provide information and resource materials to child care providers, health consultants, and other agencies/programs on national health and safety performance standards, medical home, and health insurance.
- Work with the Hawaii Early Childhood Comprehensive System initiative to promote access to medical homes, access to developmental screening, and standards based health and safety practices in child care.
CHILD CARE HEALTH CONSULTATION
Child Care Health Consultants (brochure)
Child Care Health Consultant Training (webinar, 4/7/16)
HEALTH AND SAFETY FACILITY CHECKLIST
Health and Safety Facility Checklist for Child Care Centers focuses on the areas of safety, outdoor staff interactions, and classrooms. It also includes recommended items for first aid and emergency supplies, procedures for standard precaution, and playground hazards.
DHS CHILD CARE LICENSING FORMS include:
- DHS 908 Early Childhood Pre-K Health Record Supplement
- DHS 908A Instructions for DHS 908 (which includes a Special Care Plan sample)
SAMPLE PROCEDURES AND FORMS
- Administration of Medication in the Classroom
- Consent for Administration of Medication
- Nutrition and Feeding Care Plan
- Permission for Medical Condition Treatment
- Seizure Care Plan
- Health and Safety
- Social and Emotional Health
- Physical Activity
- Infectious Disease
- Hawaii 5210 – Let’s Go!
- Toxic Stress
- Building Resilience
- Supporting School Readiness Through Health (2013)
- Teachers Are Key: Assessing Child Development (2015)
Caring for Our Children, 3rd Edition
Child Care Programs and Medical Home
This website has health advice for parents and caregivers. Website is from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Model Child Care Health Policies, 5th edition
Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Child Care (American Academy of Pediatrics)
See Health Child Care America Website: http://www.healthychildcare.org/sids.html
Stepping Stones to Caring for Our Children, 3rd Edition
HCCH is a collaborative project of the University of Hawaii (UH)/School of Medicine/Department of Pediatrics, American Academy of Pediatrics-Hawaii Chapter, Department of Health/Children with Special Health Needs Branch, and Department of Human Services. HCCH is administered by the UH Department of Pediatrics and is funded by the Department of Human Services.
For more information, contact:
Children with Special Health Needs Branch
Hawaii State Department of Health
741 Sunset Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816