Make a Plan
Hawaii is susceptible to many types of natural disasters, and it’s important to be ready. Though it’s impossible to plan for every emergency, there are a few essentials that you will need in order to be prepared for unexpected events. First, consider that your family may not be together when disaster strikes. It is important to plan in advance by figuring out how you will contact one another, how you will get back together if you are separated, and what you will do in different situations. To help you get started with a family emergency plan, the Department of Health has created a guide called “Plan To Be Ready,” available at this link.
For more information, check out the CDC’s (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) page for planning ahead for emergencies and the American Red Cross’s page on making a family emergency plan. These and other resources below can also provide step-by-step guidance you can take now to protect yourself and your loved ones.
- DOH Guide “Plan To Be Ready”
- CDC information page on planning ahead for emergencies
- American Red Cross family disaster planning sheet
- American Red Cross on making a family emergency plan
- Learn about emergency communication plans from ready.gov
- Download a Family Emergency Plan information sheet
- Download a Family Emergency Plan information card for kids
- Get information on this topic in other languages:
Hawaii, Are YOU Ready? Make a Plan.
Last reviewed July 2019