Food Safety Education
The Food Safety Education program is a statewide program launched in 1989 with the primary purpose of protecting the public from foodborne illnesses through education and training. The instructors, Food Sanitarians with extensive field experience, provide real world insight. Participants include chefs, cooks, dieticians, managers, pantry workers, stewards, waiters, waitresses, and a host of other professions.
The FOOD SAFETY CLASS (FOOD HANDLER LEVEL) is offered at NO CHARGE. The class is designed to provide the food handler with a basic understanding of food microbiology, major foodborne illnesses, and learn how to implement specific procedures to ensure safe food preparation. The class also provides an excellent review for those already certified. Certification is valid for 3 years from the date of successful completion of the class.
OAHU classes are held at 99-945 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, HI 96701 (same road entrance as Animal Quarantine).
Click on the following link to view the parking map: Parking Map for Food Safety Class at Halawa
- ***UPDATE 09/13/21*** Per Governor’s Executive Order No. 21-07, all visitors who make contact with State employees at a State facility must:
- Provide verification of being fully vaccinated.
- Provide a negative COVID-19 test result if not fully vaccinated.
- Wear a mask at all times while in the state facility, and physically distance themselves from others.
Effective 09/13/21, all access to our offices will be by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call (808) 586-8000 to schedule an appointment between our business hours of 7:45AM – 4:30PM to schedule an appointment between the hours of 7:45AM – 4:30PM; appointments are in 15 minute intervals. Before arrival, please make sure that you bring the following:
- Proof of vaccination OR a negative COVID-19 test report (taken within the past 72 hours)
- A government issued I.D.
Failure to provide BOTH required items may result in restriction from entry into the building. A drop box will be available outside of the front door to the food safety branch building.
In addition to the new restrictions from the Governor, the Safe Access Oahu program (C&C of Honolulu emergency order No. 2021-11 / Order 10 & 11) will be in effect for select businesses starting on 09/13/21. For more information regarding the restrictions associated with Safe Access Oahu, please visit the C&C of Honolulu website https://www.oneoahu.org/safe-access-oahu. If you have questions regarding the new Safe Access Oahu program, please contact via phone at (808) 768-CITY (2489) or via email at [email protected].
- ***UPDATE 12/01/20*** Due to health concerns with the COVID-19 virus, all Kauai, Maui and Big Island classes will now be offered online only via Zoom starting from December 2nd. A working webcam is required for these online classes, and they are currently limited to neighbor island residents only (If you do not have access to a computer/tablet with a working webcam, please contact Kyla Arruda at (808)825-1774 or [email protected] to discuss possible alternative arrangements). Oahu classes have resumed (new certifications or re-certifications) and are in-person by reservation only; no walk-ins will be allowed entry. All attendees will be required to wear face coverings. No late entry will be allowed, please arrive early or on time! In addition, a temperature check will be taken before entering the classroom. ANSI-accredited online courses offered by other organizations are available here. (Fees may apply)
Click on the following link to register online:
NEIGHBOR ISLAND classes are normally held on the Islands of Hawaii, Maui, and Kauai, but will only be offered online until further notice. Click on the following link to register online:
A new mandate for Food Handlers Education certification* requires at least one employee present at every food establishment during normal hours to have a formal food handlers training level certification. In addition to DOH Food Safety Education workshops, ANSI (American National Standards Institute) accredited courses will meet this requirement. Click on the following link to see a list organizations that offer online courses that are ANSI-accredited: ANSI Food Handler Training Certificate Programs**
Some organizations offer the Food Handler Training Certificate Program in different languages. Click on the following link to see the languages offered by each organization: Food Handler Training Certificate Program – Multilingual
*Requirement effective September 2018
**Some organizations on this list do not mention Hawaii but we will recognize the certificate issued by their program as they are ANSI accredited.
To view a video on food safety, click on any of the four parts below: