Hawaii DOH Hazardous Waste section hazwaste

Hazardous Waste Section

Notification of Regulated Waste Activity (EPA Form 8700-12)

Beginning October 1, 2008, the Hawaii Department of Health (HDOH) will be processing all Notification of Regulated Waste Activity (EPA Form 8700-12) forms. Handlers of regulated waste are required to complete EPA Form 8700-12 for initial notification to obtain an EPA ID number, and subsequent notifications to update site identification information.

Click here for EPAForm 8700-12, “Notification of Regulated Waste Activities”  Submit EPA Form 8700-12 to Hawaii Dept of Health.

Previously, EPA Form 8700-12 was mailed to the EPA Region 9 office in San Francisco.  EPA Form 8700-12 should now be mailed to:

Hawaii Dept of Health
Solid & Hazardous Waste Branch
919 Ala Moana Blvd., Room 212
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814

for additional information on Notification, contact us at 808-586-4226 and for Hazardous Waste questions, contact:

Thomas Brand
Phone: (808) 586-4226
Fax: (808) 586-7509

How do I submit manifest copies to my State?

Hawaii does not require copies of hazardous waste manifests to be submitted to the State unless specifically requested by the Solid & Hazardous Waste Branch (for example, as a follow-up to a hazardous waste inspection).

What are my State-specific waste codes?

Hawaii does not require the use of State-specific waste codes on hazardous waste shipping manifests.

Click here for HDOH Hazardous Waste Guidance documents

Hauler and Recyclers List

Permitted Used Oil Transporters/Processors

Updated Hazardous Waste Rules

The Department of Health (DOH) received delegation of its hazardous waste program from the federal government on November 13, 2001. As part of the delegation process, DOH adopted amendments to the State’s hazardous waste rules found in the Hawaii Administrative Rules. The adoption was effective March 13, 1999.

DOH combined the March 1999 amendments with the original hazardous waste rules (1994). The compilation became effective on September 20, 1999. A complete and updated set of Hawaii’s Hazardous Waste Rules is now available.  Paper copies of the following may be obtained from the Hazardous Waste Section of DOH at 586-4226 with the following charges:  1st set free (please include $8.00 for Parcel Post or $18.00 for Priority Mail)  Additional copies are $35.00 each + $8.00 or $18.00 postage

Complete Hazardous Waste Rules
1999 Hazardous Waste Rules Amendments
1994 Hazardous Waste Rules

An unofficial version of the compilation may be downloaded by clicking on the links below. Material from the Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.) that has been incorporated by reference is also included for your convenience. The total number of pages generated after downloading and printing all of the files is approximately 1600 pages.

Chapter Description File Name
11-260 General Provisions 11-260.pdf
C.F.R. appendix
11-261 Identification and listing of hazardous waste 11-261.pdf
C.F.R. appendices
11-262 Standards applicable to generators of hazardous waste 11-262.pdf
C.F.R. appendices and updated Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest with instructions
11-263 Standards applicable to transporters of hazardous waste 11-263.pdf
11-264 Standards for owners and operators of hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities 11-264.pdf
C.F.R. appendices and updated EPA Form 8700-13B
11-265 Interim status standards for owners and operators of hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities 11-265.pdf
C.F.R. appendices
11-266 Standards for management of specific hazardous waste and specific types of hazardous waste management facilities 11-266.pdf
C.F.R. appendices
11-268 Land disposal restrictions 11-268.pdf
C.F.R. appendices
11-270 State administered permits: the hazardous waste permit program 11-270.pdf
updated Application for Hazardous Waste Permit – Part A  (replaces C.F.R. appendix)
11-271 Procedures for decision making 11-271.pdf
11-273 Standards for universal waste management 11-273.pdf
11-279 Standards for the management of used oil 11-279.pdf
11-280 Public Information 11-280.pdf


Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch
Hawai’i Department of Health
919 Ala Moana Boulevard #212
Honolulu, Hawai’i 96814

Phone: (808) 586-4226
Fax: (808) 586-7509