About Vital Records

About Vital Records

Vital records (birth, death, civil union, marriage, and divorce certificates) for events that occurred in Hawaii are received and preserved by the Office of Health Status Monitoring, a unit of the Department of Health. In Hawaii, access to vital records is restricted by statute (HRS §338-18). The Office of Health Status Monitoring only has divorce records from July 1951 to December 2002. All other divorce records are kept in the court where the divorce took place.

  • On-Line Ordering for Certified Copies of Birth, Civil Union, and Marriage Records:

Certified copies of these records may be issued to authorized individuals and used for such diverse purposes as school entry, passports, Social Security participation, driver’s licenses, employment, sports participation, survivor’s benefits, proof of property rights, and other needs.

Apostilles and the authentication of certified copies of vital records for international legalization can be provided.

Records of events that occurred more than 75 years prior to the current year can be ordered by persons working on genealogy projects. Since genealogy requests are not considered urgent, they are not processed as priority requests.

Vital records (birth, death, civil union, marriage, and divorce certificates) on file with the Department of Health may be amended (i.e., changes, corrections, additions, deletions, or substitutions) upon submission of the required documentation.

Amended certificates of birth may be prepared and filed with the Department of Health, as provided by law, for 1) a person born in Hawaii who already has a birth certificate filed with the Department of Health or 2) a person born in a foreign country.

Late registration, registration one year or more after the date of the event’s occurrence, of certificates are permitted subject to evidentiary requirements.

Paternity for a child with unmarried parents can be legally established and reflected in the child’s birth certificate as described in the Voluntary Establishment of Paternity (VEP) brochure link below.

Requests to change an item (e.g., following a legal change of name) on a Certificate of Hawaiian Birth will result in the cancellation of the Certificate of Hawaiian Birth and the preparation of a late birth certificate in lieu thereof, subject to the evidentiary requirements specific to late registration in connection with Certificates of Hawaiian Birth.

Getting Information on Vital Records by Telephone
Information on issuance of certified copies of vital records, Apostilles, amendment of vital records, amended birth certificates (for adopted persons, etc.), and late registration may also be obtained via the telephone system, any day or any time, by calling (808) 586-4533.