Hawaii DOH Underground Storage Tank (UST) section
Chapter 11-280.1, HAR, effective July 15, 2018
Please note: Numbering/formatting has been corrected on page 28 of the rules. If you printed the rules between July 16 and July 18, 2018, please re-print and replace your page 28 with the corrected version.
Important information for owners and operators of field-constructed tanks (FCTs) and airport hydrant systems (AHS)
You are required have a permit for your facility by July 15, 2019. You must submit your permit application by January 15, 2019 to ensure sufficient time for departmental review and approval.
There has been an additional vendor added to the approved operator training vendors list. The department is also working on supplemental guidance documents. Eventually these documents will be made available on our website.
Important information regarding approved operator training programs
- Departmental approval does not equate to DOH recommendation/endorsement. Approved programs address the minimum topics required under HAR §11-280.1-242 Requirements for operator training.
- The quality of training programs programs may vary.
- Approved training programs may not address Hawaii-specific regulatory requirements with much detail because there is no specific requirement to do so. It is your responsibility to be in compliance with those regulations that are specific to your facility.
- Approved training programs may not address the specific requirements that your particular facility is subject to. It is your responsibility to be in compliance with those regulations that are specific to your facility.
- Although we do not anticipate many more revisions to this list, please check periodically to ensure that your chosen vendor has received the required approvals.
UST Technical Documents
HEER Office Environmental Action Levels (EALs) and Guidance: Screening for Environmental Concerns at Sites with Contaminated Soil and Groundwater by Dr. Roger Brewer
October 2017 – DOH’s Hazard Evaluation & Emergency Response Office (DOH HEER) has revised the Environmental Action Levels (EALs). Please refer to the EAL Surfer for current EALs.
March 1, 2018 – DOH UST section now requires regulated UST release response actions to follow the DOH HEER TGM, DOH HEER EAL guidance, and other guidance documents on the DOH HEER website for Multi-Increment Sampling (MIS) of soil.
Groundwater monitoring well installation and sampling, soil vapor sampling, Environmental Hazard Evaluation (EHE), and Environmental Hazard Management Plan (EHMP) will follow DOH HEER guidance as before. DOH UST operates under Hawaii Administrative Rules 11-280.1
- Five decision units (DUs) are the MIS default for a UST excavation (four walls and floor). Additional DUs are required for pipe runs and beneath dispensers.
- On neighbor islands, consultants may use alternative methods described in Section 5.6 of the HEER TGM to avoid the use of methanol for analyses of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in soil samples, including freezing of samples and extraction into methanol at the laboratory. Soil vapor samples collected at depth in the areas of UST systems may be used to assess the presence/absence of significant TPH contamination in lieu of soil sampling for initial site assessment to avoid methanol transport by air (see Tables C-2 and E-2 in Appendix 1 of HEER EAL guidance).
- See Table 9-5 in DOH HEER TGM for required petroleum contaminant analyses by fuel type. Unknown USTs need TPH-g, TPH-d, TPH-o and sub-analytes on Table 9-5.
- Formats for the UST Initial Release Response report and Quarterly Release Response reports may follow the format of Site Investigation reports in DOH HEER TGM 18.5.9. Call DOH UST at (808) 586-4226 for additional information.
Request for Public Record form – Request to view facility files and documents of regulated USTs in Hawaii including release sites.
Notification for Underground Storage Tanks Form – Form 1 rev. 7/2018 – Complete this form to notify DOH of changes to the UST or UST system.
Application for an Underground Storage Tank Permit – Form 2 rev. 7/2018 – Required by DOH for installation and/or operation; modification of UST system.
Certification of Underground Storage Tank Installation – Form 3 rev. 7/2018 – This form must be submitted to DOH within 30 days after the installation of a UST or tank system.
Application for Renewal of an Underground Storage Tank Permit – Form 4 rev. 7/2018 – The renewal application shall be received by DOH at least 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
Application for Transfer of an Underground Storage Tank Permit – Form 5 rev. 7/2018 – Application for the transfer of tank owner or operator shall be received by DOH at least 30 days prior to the date of the transfer. UST Intent to Close form – Required at least 30 days before closing or removing an Underground Storage Tank.
Confirmed Release Notification form – Required by DOH within 7 days of reporting a confirmed UST release.