Hawaii DOH Underground Storage Tank (UST) section
UPDATE: DOH have developed the following recommended forms for Operator Class A, B and C List/Designation and two versions of the Walkthrough Checklist. The other two documents, regarding financial responsibility and compliance dates are FYI.
List of Designated Class A/B/C Operators (rev 5/2019) – This form is not required but recommended to let the department know of Class A/B/C operator information.
DOH Sample Walkthrough inspection check-off lists -These forms are not required but recommended to document the requirement to conduct walkthrough inspections. There are two sample forms provided below. One is owners/operators of a single tank system and the other is for owners/operators of multi-tank systems.
Summary of Compliance Dates (rev 5/19) This document has been revised on May 14, 2019. The tables summarize dates by which owners and operators of underground storage tanks (UST) systems would need to comply with new requirements pursuant to Hawaii Administrative Rule §11-280.1. This list is not exhaustive of all of the changes to the regulations
EPA Memo on Financial Assurance This memo encourages owners and operators to scrutinize their insurance policies, used to comply with financial responsibility (FR), to ensure that it contains only acceptable exclusions.
Chapter 11-280.1, HAR, effective July 15, 2018
Please note: Numbering/formatting has been corrected on page 28 of the rules. If you printed the rules between July 16 and July 18, 2018, please re-print and replace your page 28 with the corrected version.
Important information for owners and operators of field-constructed tanks (FCTs) and airport hydrant systems (AHS): You are required have a permit for your facility by July 15, 2019. You must submit your permit application by January 15, 2019 to ensure sufficient time for departmental review and approval.
List of Designated Class A/B/C Operators (rev 5/2019) & List of approved UST training providers rev. June 5, 2019 – There has been an additional vendor added to the approved operator training vendors list. The department is also working on supplemental guidance documents. Eventually these documents will be made available on our website. Important information regarding approved operator training programs:
- Departmental approval does not equate to DOH recommendation/endorsement. Approved programs address the minimum topics required under HAR §11-280.1-242 Requirements for operator training.
- The quality of training programs programs may vary.
- Approved training programs may not address Hawaii-specific regulatory requirements with much detail because there is no specific requirement to do so, or may not address the specific requirements of your facility. It is your responsibility to be in compliance with all applicable UST regulations. Please contact DOH UST Section at 586-4226 if you have any questions on the training requirements for your facility.
- Please check the list of training providers to ensure that your chosen vendor has received the required approvals.
UST Release Response guidance
October 2017 – DOH’s HEER Office has revised the Environmental Action Levels (EALs). Please refer to the EAL Surfer for current EALs.
March 1, 2018 – DOH UST section now requires regulated UST release response actions to follow applicable guidance in the DOH HEER TGM, DOH HEER EAL guidance, and other guidance documents on the DOH HEER website including Multi-Increment (MI) soil sampling, low flow groundwater sampling, soil vapor (SV) sampling, use of appropriate EALs, the Environmental Hazard Evaluation (EHE), and Environmental Hazard Management Plan (EHMP).
- Five decision units (DUs) are the MIS default for a UST excavation (four walls and floor). Additional DUs are required for pipe runs and beneath dispensers.
- On neighbor islands, consultants may use alternative methods described in Section 5.6 of the HEER TGM to avoid the use of methanol for analyses of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in soil samples, including freezing of samples and extraction into methanol at the laboratory. Soil vapor samples collected at depth in the areas of UST systems may be used to assess the presence/absence of significant TPH in lieu of soil sampling for initial site assessment to avoid methanol transport by air (see Tables C-2 and E-2 in Appendix 1 of HEER EAL guidance).
- See Table 9-5 in DOH HEER TGM for required petroleum constituent analyses by fuel type. Unknown USTs need TPH-g, TPH-d, TPH-o and sub-analytes on Table 9-5.*
- Formats for the UST Initial Release Response report and Quarterly Release Response reports may follow the format of Site Investigation reports in DOH HEER TGM 18.5.9. Call DOH UST at (808) 586-4226 for additional information.
* For gasoline and diesel UST releases – DOH UST and DOH HEER request that TPH-d be added to TPH-g and gasoline sub-analytes in HEER TGM Table 9-5 for all groundwater analyses of gasoline UST releases, and that TPH-g be added to TPH-d and middle distillate sub-analytes for all groundwater analyses of middle distillate (diesel, jet fuel) UST release sites. This is for groundwater analyses only. The purpose is to monitor changes in petroleum hydrocarbon chain length as a result of bio-degradation and physical degradation in the sub-surface. [Dec 18, 2018]
Walkthrough Checklist for Single – Tank system – Recommended checklist to conduct the monthly walkthrough for facility with one tank system.
Walkthrough Checklist for Multi – Tank system – Recommended checklist to conduct the monthly walkthrough for facility with more than one tank system.
Request for Public Record form – Facility files and documentation for regulated USTs in Hawaii and release sites.
Notification for Underground Storage Tanks Form (Form 1 rev. 2/2019) – Complete this form to notify DOH of changes to the UST or UST system.
Application for an Underground Storage Tank Permit (Form 2 rev. 2/2019) – Required by DOH for installation and/or operation; modification of UST system.
Certification of Underground Storage Tank Installation (Form 3 rev. 2/2019) – Required within 30 days following installation of a UST or tank system.
Application for Renewal of an Underground Storage Tank Permit (Form 4 rev. 2/2019) – Renewal application shall be received by DOH at least 180 days prior to expiration of existing permit.
Application for Transfer of an Underground Storage Tank Permit (Form 5 rev. 2/2019) – Application for transfer of UST owner/operator shall be received by DOH at least 30 days prior to date of the transfer.
UST Intent to Close form – Required at least 30 days prior to closing or removing a UST.
Confirmed Release Notification form – Required by DOH within 7 days of reporting a confirmed UST release.