Hawaii DOH Underground Storage Tank (UST) section
Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility (current)
Hawaii Administrative Rules Title 11 Chapter 281 – UST Rules (effective August 9, 2013) Summary of changes to Hawaii UST rules
May 8, 2013 Public Hearing on UST rules
Operator Training Program
- List of Approved UST Training Providers April 2016 – Owners and operators have 120 days to designate Operator A and B and C.
- Initial UST Operator Designation form – REMINDER! Owners and operators must designate a Class A, Class B, and Class C operator by December 9, 2013. These operators must be trained and certified from a training and certification program approved by DOH. You need to submit the following information by December 9, 2013: 1) A notice to DOH identifying the Class A, Class B, and Class C operators. The notification must include the name of each operator, the date training was completed and the name and address of each facility for which the operator has been designated. The “Initial UST Operator Designation Form” was developed to fulfill this requirement. 2) Verification from a training and certification program approved by the DOH that the Class A, B, and C operator has successfully completed the training and is certified in the operator’s class (e.g. a copy of the certificate).
- Operator Training Guidance
UST Data Files on regulated USTs and release sites in Hawaii.
UST Technical Documents
- HEER Office Environmental Action Levels (EALs) and Guidance: Screening for Environmental Concerns at Sites with Contaminated Soil and Groundwater by Dr. Roger Brewer
- EPA Hawaii Land Revitalization page (Brownfields)
- DOH UST Technical Guidance Manual 2000, 2nd Edition has been replaced by DOH HEER Office EALs and guidance and the DOH HEER TGM. Use word search for petroleum. DOH UST section allows discrete soil sampling for closure and site investigations at regulated UST release sites. See Table 9-5 for required contaminant analyses. DOH UST is drafting a policy to require Multi-Increment Sampling for all regulated UST release sites according to the DOH HEER TGM. Please call DOH UST at (808) 586-4226 for questions or comments.
- Determination of Groundwater Utility at Leaking Underground Storage Tank Sites – Policy on determining groundwater utility (i.e., drinking water resource vs. non drinking water resource) at a given location. (September 19, 1995)
Forms, Rules, Policies and Procedures
Request for Public Record form – Request to view facility files and documents of regulated USTs in Hawaii including release sites.
Notification for Underground Storage Tanks Form – Complete this form to notify DOH of changes to the UST or UST system.
Application for an Underground Storage Tank Permit – Form No. II dated 6/12 (rev 11-13) – Required by DOH for installation and/or operation; modification of UST system.
Certification of Underground Storage Tank Installation – (Form No. III dated 6/12 (rev 11-13) ) – This form must be submitted to DOH within 30 days after the installation of an UST or tank system.
Application for Renewal of an Underground Storage Tank Permit – (Form No. IV dated 6/12 (rev 11-13) ) – The renewal application shall be received by DOH at least 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
Application for Transfer of an Underground Storage Tank Permit – (Form No. V dated 6/12 (rev 11-13) ) – Application for the transfer of tank owner or operator shall be received by DOH at least 30 days prior to the date of the transfer.
UST Intent to Close form – Required at least 30 days before closing or removing an Underground Storage Tank.
Confirmed Release Notification form – Required by DOH within 7 days of reporting a confirmed UST release.