Kauai District Health Laboratory (KDHL)
Phone: (808) 241-3353 Fax: (808) 241-3480
The Kauai District Health Laboratory provides laboratory support services to the various medical and environmental programs within the Department of Health and to physicians, institutions, and other health care agencies for the diagnosis and control of communicable disease.
KDHL analyzes drinking water, in compliance with State and Federal (EPA) regulations, by performing microbiological analysis of E. coli and total coliform for private purveyors and SDWB.
Private purveyors/water systems:
– Pacific Missile Range Facility
– Aqua Engineers – Kealia, Anahola, Kokee State Parks, Polihale,
– Princeville Utilities
– Gay & Robinson – Pakala
– HOH Utilities
– SDWB and Kauai Department of Water – various QA samples
KDHL provides Total Chloride proficiency testing yearly.
KDHL analyzes environmental water for microbiological contaminants (Clostridium perfringens and Enterococcus faecalis.) according to State and Federal (EPA) regulations.
KDHL is part of the investigative team in suspected foodborne outbreaks. The laboratory is able to perform microbiological testing of Staphylococcus aureus and/or Bacillus cereus when these organisms are the suspected cause of the foodborne outbreak.
KDHL personnel are trained and certified to pack and ship dangerous goods in suspected chemical or biological bioterrorism incidents.
5. State Laboratory – Medical Microbiology Branch
Clinical Labs of Hawaii – Wilcox Memorial Hospital
Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital Laboratory
Diagnostic Laboratories Service
KDHL performs the Leptospira Microscopic Agglutination Test (MAT) and analyzes cultures for Leptospirosis.
6. KDHL SENDS OUT specimens to State Laboratories Division (SLD) on Oahu for testing.
Agencies sending specimens to SLD through KDHL include:
– Clinical Labs of Hawaii – Wilcox Memorial Hospital
– Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital Laboratory
– Diagnostic Laboratories Service
– Malama Pono
– Kauai Community College Wellness Center
– STD/HIV Program, Kauai (808) 212-4523
KAUAI DISTRICT HEALTH LABORATORY CERTIFICATIONS
Certified by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for clinical testing
– General Immunology
Certified for the microbiological analysis of drinking water for total coliforms and E. coli
Trained in Transportation of Dangerous Goods in Compliance with IATA Regulations
For more information, see STATE LABORATORIES DIVISION – OAHU