Durable Medical Equipment Supplier Licensing
Effective January 1, 2017, Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Suppliers who conduct business in Hawaii are required to be licensed pursuant to Act 137 SLH 2016 (formerly Senate Bill 2076) which was enacted on June 30, 2016. For a list of business locations currently licensed by the Department of Health, go to Hawaii Licensed Durable Medical Equipment Suppliers.
Under Act 137, durable medical equipment is defined as:
- Equipment that is considered a selected product under the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services durable medical equipment such as prosthetics, orthotics, and supplies competitive bidding program that can stand repeated use;
- Is primarily and customarily used to serve a medical purpose;
- Is generally not useful to a person in the absence of an illness or injury;
- Is appropriate for use in the home;
- Does not contain any prescription drug; and
- Is not considered to be a specialty item, equipment, or service.
Act 137 also defines a DME supplier as a person who sells, dispenses, delivers, or services durable medical equipment.
Act 137 mandates that for any person to operate as a DME supplier in the state, the supplier shall first obtain a Hawaii license from the Department of Health, Office of Health Care Assurance. The license shall be for a three (3) year term unless it is earlier revoked or suspended. A DME supplier who applies for a state license shall attest and provide corroborating documentation to the department that the supplier:
- Is in compliance with the business registration laws of the State and has all required tax identification numbers;
- Is licensed and in good standing in the state in which its dispensing facilities are primarily located, if applicable and complies with all applicable state and federal laws, rules, and standards;
- Has designated a responsible agent or agents either in or out of Hawaii who shall be responsible for providing timely and satisfactory services to consumers in Hawaii, provided that:
- The responsible agent or agents must be available to consumers in Hawaii by phone during standard business hours in Hawaii to answer inquiries or resolve issues; and
- If the responsible agent or agents are not immediately available, then the supplier shall have a system capable of accepting and recording incoming phone inquiries, provided that the supplier shall respond no later than one business day after the inquiry is received;
- Has implemented and maintains written procedures at each location for handling complaints and problems from all consumers, which includes a complaint file documenting complaints or problems and resolution of the complaints or problems; and
- Will agree to notify consumers within two business days if the supplier cannot or will not provide the equipment, item, or service ordered, provided that suppliers may be exempt from this requirement if selling, dispensing, delivering, or servicing specialty equipment or items.
For more information on the CMS DME supplier competitive bidding program, please click here.
The purpose of this licensing program is to help patients in Hawaii get access to critical, life-sustaining medical supplies by setting standards of service for DME suppliers.
Licensing Term and Fees
The licensing term shall be three (3) years. The licensing fee is $350.00 in the form of a cashier’s check or money order payable to “Director of Finance” with “DME License Fee” entered on the memo line. Pharmacies licensed pursuant to Hawaii Revised Statutes, Chapter 461 are exempt from Hawaii’s entire durable medical equipment supplier licensing requirement.
DME Supplier Licensing Policies and Procedures
Click here to view OHCA’s policies and procedures for durable medical equipment supplier licensing.
How To Apply
To apply for a DME supplier license, please complete and mail the application form along with the $350 licensing fee to:
State of Hawaii, Department of Health
Office of Health Care Assurance
601 Kamokila Boulevard, Room 337
Kapolei, Hawaii 96707
For questions regarding the durable medical equipment supplier licensing program, please email [email protected].