The Medicare Section of the Office of Health Care Assurance is responsible for promulgating licensing rules and developing standards as required to ensure quality of care for certain medical facilities which must be licensed by the State that include adult day health centers, ambulatory surgical centers, home health agencies, hospitals, intermediate care facilities for the mentally retarded, skilled nursing and intermediate care facilities and clinical laboratories.
In addition, the Medicare Section is responsible for implementing the federal survey and certification agreement between the State and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) for Medicare/Medicaid providers, and the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) laboratories. Medicare/Medicaid providers include ambulatory surgical centers, home health agencies, hospitals, intermediate care facilities for the mentally retarded, skilled nursing facilities, end-stage renal disease facilities, hospices, rehabilitation agencies, rural health clinics, and portable x-ray facilities.
The Medicare Section is responsible for the state licensing and federal certification survey activity in Hawaii.
- Adult Day Health Centers
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers (Freestanding Outpatient Surgical Facilities)
- End Stage Renal Disease Programs
- Home Health Agencies
- Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities
- Organ Procurement Organization
- Outpatient Physical Therapy/Speech Pathology
- Rural Health Clinics
- Skilled Nursing (SNF) and Intermediate Care Facilities (ICF)
- Free Standing X-Ray Facilities
Call the Medicare Section at (808) 692-7420 or write:
Department of Health
601 Kamokila Boulevard, Room 395
Kapolei, Hawaii 96707