Compliance Assistance Office Small Business Assistance Home Page
Helping small businesses overcome hurdles in environmental regulations.
Section 507 of the 1990 Clean Air Act requires each state to establish a Small Business Environmental Compliance Assistance Program.
The Compliance Assistance Office (CAO) was established within the Department of Health (DOH) in 1998 to help small businesses overcome the hurdles they face in their efforts to succeed in business while following environmental regulations. Our free and confidential services help support our mission to:
- promote communication between the DOH and small businesses, and help distribute materials explaining regulations to small businesses;
- intercede in disputes between small businesses and DOH;
- promote the inclusion of small business perspectives in rule-making; and
- work with DOH staff to increase their understanding of small businesses.
The CAO is staffed by an Environmental Ombudsman and a secretary. With such a small staff, we rely heavily on a team of staff from the various regulatory offices who have expertise in the full range of environmental topics.
Have you recently applied for or received an environmental permit?
- Fill in and submit your permit survey. The survey can also be accessed and submitted on the Environmental Health Administration’s e-Permitting Portal here.
State Links for further information:
- Need an applicability tool for R.I.C.E. or compliance information for boilers, Subparts IIII, JJJJ, and ZZZZ? Click here to go to the EPA-funded Combustion Portal for more information.
- Did you know you can apply and pay for certain environmental permits online? Click here to go to the e-Permitting Portal. The Compliance Assistance Office Branch has produced two videos to show users how to use the portal to apply for their 2012 NOI renewals. Part 1 2012 Renewal NOI Instructions (youtube.com) Part 2 2012 Renewal NOI Instructions (youtube.com
- Need government records? Request for governmental records form may be found at Office of Information Practices.
- Do you know if the waste you generate is hazardous? You may use the matrix provided from Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- Clean Air Branch dry cleaners calendar.
Other State Link for further information:
- Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection offers a Hazardous Waste Management online course to assist businesses in meeting the initial and annual training requirements for hazardous waste generators under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). It is designed as a general overview of the regulatory requirements for handling hazardous waste and IS NOT intended to satisfy all of your RCRA training requirements. The link is http://moodlectdlc.org
The Environmental Warehouse:
- The Environmental Warehouse provide information on underground storage tank sites, National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permits, etc. This site can be assessed from the Environmental Health Administration site.
- If you have questions or comments, please contact our office at CAO@doh.hawaii.gov
Federal Links for further information:
- EPA Collision Repair Campaign Video is available for online viewing. (youtube.com)
- To increase transparency, public accountability drives better facility, individual, community and governmental performance. The US EPA’s Enforcement and Compliance History Online (ECHO) site will assist you with information on (Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water and others) inspections, violations, enforcement and releases.
Learn more about CAO services by viewing the brochure
|Address:||Environmental Ombudsman, Compliance Assistance Office Hawaii State Department of Health 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 312
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814