The purpose of SHPDA is to “promote accessibility for all the people of the State to quality health care services at reasonable cost.”
- Administer the State’s Certificate of Need (CON) program
- Serve as staff in the preparation, revision, and implementation of the State’s Health Services and Facilities Plan
- Conduct studies and investigations regarding the causes of health care costs
- Promote the sharing of facilities or services by health care providers to achieve economies of scale and restrict unusual costly services
- Conduct coordinated health planning activities and determine health needs of the State.
To learn about the history and purpose of SHPDA, please view SHPDA’s Orientation/Powerpoint Presentation please click here.
American Health Planning Association
For more information about health services planning and certificate-of-need, please visit