Registration Q & A

It’s NOT okay to drive a motor vehicle when under the influence of medical cannabis.


What do I need to register for the DOH Medical Cannabis Program? To register, you must:

  • have a qualifying debilitating medical condition
  • have a physician CERTIFY your debilitating medical conditions (on the application)
  • complete an electronic application
  • provide a clear copy of your valid identification (driver’s license, state ID or passport)
  • pay a registration fee of $38.50 ($35 registration fee plus $3.50 portal administration fee)

NEW REGISTRATION PROCESS: Effective January 1, 2016, ALL applications MUST be submitted electronically. This will require patients to create a secure account, enter their own personal data (name, address, grow site location, etc.) and that of their caregiver, if applicable, and make the required payment of $38.50 ($35 application fee + $3.50 portal administration fee) electronically. All initial application and renewal application fees MUST be made electronically via credit/debit card or direct withdrawal from a savings or checking account. Physicians will still be required to certify the patient’s debilitating medical condition AND “submit” the electronic application to DOH. See Registration Information.


  • The average Turnaround Time is 10 business days.
  • Turnaround Time – means the number of business days (sorry, we don’t work on weekends!) from the date that the Physician/APRN submits the electronic application to DOH to the date that DOH REVIEWS the application and either
    • 1) issues a 329 Card OR
    • 2) returns the electronic application as INCOMPLETE
  • Incomplete applications that are returned to either the patient or the physician for corrections are NOT in queue, and likewise, any delay to the correction and re-submission of the electronic application will delay the issuance of the 329 Card.
  • It is the patient’s/physician’s/APRN’s responsibility to make the required corrections to incomplete applications and resubmit within 30 days.
  • Incomplete electronic applications that are returned to patients/physicians/APRNs and NOT corrected and resubmitted to DOH within 30 days will be removed from the queue/denied and the patient will need to reapply in accordance with HAR 11-160-18.
  • Corrected/Resubmitted applications have a new turnaround time frame based on the date it is resubmitted to DOH.
  • All applications are reviewed/processed in the order received based on the date submitted/resubmitted.

In addition, DOH does not have control over the following items that may impact how quickly program participants receive their 329 Card:

  • Patient mailing address – if there is a typo in the patient’s mailing address or the application was inadvertently submitted with an incorrect address, the patient will NOT get their 329 Card in a timely manner and additional fees/forms will be required to make the necessary corrections once the 329 Card is issued. See Changes to Application Information if this applies to you. Patient’s that are not sure about the validity of their mailing address should check with their local post office to be sure it is correct (including city and zip code).
  • Delivery times for the US postal service – most patients receive their 329 Cards a few days after DOH issues it, however, we have had reports of some patients not receiving their 329 Card for up to 30 days after issuance.
  • When the physician/APRN submits the electronic application to DOH – regardless of when the physician/APRN “certifies” the patient or when the physician/APRN “sees” the patient.
  • How quickly corrections are made and resubmitted.

And lastly, DOH has no control over how much the physician/APRN charges for the office visit.

Physician/APRN oversight is provided by the applicable body (i.e. board of medicine or board of nursing) and DCCA/RICO, who the Department is working with to coordinate our efforts to ensure program compliance. Additional physician/APRN requirements are spelled out in the medical cannabis administrative rules (i.e. bona fide physician/APRN-patient relationship).

The Department of Health EXPECTS ALL certifying physicians/APRNs:

  1. To act with integrity and in accordance with the professional and ethical standards of conduct explicitly articulated or inherently implied by their profession.
  2. To conduct a complete in-person (face-to-face) assessment of all new patients, including a complete review of all applicable medical records.
  3. To conduct individual assessments for EACH patient that they certify (NOT group assessments, NOT group meetings, etc.).
  4. To advise patients that they are NOT authorized to use medical cannabis until such time that DOH has issued, and they receive, their 329 Card.


What is a “bona fide” relationship? In the DOH Administrative Rules, a “bona fide physician-patient relationship” means a relationship in which the physician has ongoing responsibility for the assessment, care, and treatment of a qualifying patient’s debilitating medical condition with respect to the medical use of cannabis which means:
(1) The physician has completed a full assessment of the qualifying patient’s medical history and current medical condition, including conducting a review of the qualifying patient’s medical records related to the debilitating condition as medically appropriate and conducting an in— person physical examination;
(2) The physician provides follow up care and treatment as medically appropriate to the qualifying patient and assesses the qualifying patient’s condition during the course of the qualifying patient’s medical use of cannabis; and
(3) The physician maintains records of the qualifying patient’s treatment and condition in accordance with medically accepted standards.

Do I have to be a Hawaii resident? NO – however, you must be certified by a Hawaii-licensed physician with whom you have a “bona fide” physician-patient relationship with AND you must have a Hawaii address (so we can mail you your 329 card).

Can DOH refer me to a physician? NO – The DOH does not serve as a referral source. Any physician (MD or DO) who is licensed to practice in Hawaii under Chapter 453, HRS, and is licensed with authority to prescribe drugs and is registered to prescribe controlled substances under Section 329-32, HRS, can certify a patient for the program, at their discretion. DOH recommends that you start with the physician that you see for the qualifying condition and begin the discussion. If this physician is not willing or not able to certify your condition for the program, you may contact the Drug Policy Forum (DPF). The DPF is compiling a third party list of physicians that may be able to assist you. For the time being, you can email

Is there a fee to register or renew? YES – The fee for new or renewal registration for qualifying patients is $38.50 ($35 application fee and $3.50 portal administration fee) and is non-refundable, even if the card is NOT issued for any reason. Effective January 1, 2016, ALL initial application and renewal application fees MUST be made electronically via credit/debit card or direct withdrawal from a savings or checking account.

What types of identification cards are acceptable? DOH will accept a valid driver’s license or state photo ID card issued by any U.S. state or a current passport.

Will DOH accept partially completed applications? NO – The online system will not allow you to submit an incomplete application. If you mail in an application that is incomplete, it will be returned to the physician for you to correct/complete. Ultimately, this may cause a delay in your registration card being issued.

I saw my physician/APRN several months ago but I still don’t have my 329 card. Can I start growing? NO – patients are not authorized for the medical use of cannabis until they receive their 329 Card that is issued by DOH.

If I register, is my confidentiality protected? YES – All information collected on the application forms and other documents that you provide to us is confidential and not subject to public disclosure, except in specific situations as defined in the DOH Administrative Rules (see 11-160-56, HAR.)

Will the police have access to my medical information? NO – Law enforcement may contact DOH to verify if an individual is a registered participant (patient or caregiver) in the program or verify if a specific location has been registered as a grow site. DOH will verify both the registration of an individual and the registration of a grow site location should law enforcement inquire for any official law enforcement purpose.