Before, During, and After Giving Birth
Safe motherhood begins before conception with good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. It continues with appropriate prenatal care and preventing problems if they arise. The ideal result is a full-term pregnancy without unnecessary interventions, the delivery of a healthy baby.
Pregnancy and childbirth have a huge impact on the physical, mental, emotional, and socioeconomic health of women and their families. Pregnancy-related health outcomes are influenced by a woman’s health and other factors like race, ethnicity, age, and income.
Five Things You Should Know about Drinking Alcohol during Pregnancy
- Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause a baby to be born with birth defects and have disabilities.
- There is no known amount of alcohol that is safe to drink while pregnant.
- There is no safe time to drink during pregnancy.
- Too many women continue to drink during pregnancy.
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders are 100% preventable if women do not drink alcohol during pregnancy.
If a woman is drinking alcohol during pregnancy, it is never too late to stop. The sooner a woman stops drinking, the better it will be for both her baby and herself. If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant and cannot stop drinking, get help!
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Hawaii
[Oahu 808-951-6660/Toll-free 808-951-6601] http://hmhb-hawaii.org
- March of Dimes www.marchofdimes.com/hawaii
- Hawaii Department of Health www.health.hawaii.gov
- Perinatal Support Services PERINATAL SUPPORT SERVICES
- DOH Family Planning FAMILY PLANNING
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division Prevention and Treatment Programs http://health.hawaii.gov/substance-abuse/
- The Path Clinic http://waikikihc.org/locations/path-clinic-in-kaimuki/
- Hawaii Psychology Association http://hawaiipsychology.org/default.aspx
- Hawaii Association of Addiction and Drug Abuse Counselors http://cchono.com/~fratzke/#Resources
- Alcohol Anonymous http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.com/aa-hawaii-hi.html
- SUBSTANCE ABUSE & MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT LOCATOR BY STATE http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/TreatmentLocator/faces/quickSearch.jspx
- CDC urges pregnant women not to drink alcohol any time during pregnancy.
- U.S. Surgeon General Advisory on Alcohol Use During Pregnancy http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/documents/surgeongenbookmark.pdf