In order to accept Hawaii WIC checks, a store must have a signed and approved Authorized WIC Vendor Agreement on file with the Hawaii WIC Services Branch. Grocery stores interested in becoming a WIC Authorized Vendor can call the WIC Vendor Management Unit at (808) 586-4776 to request an application. Stores interested in applying to be a WIC Vendor should first read: Selection-And-Authorization
WIC ANNUAL TRAINING 2018
VENDORS are responsible to train staff on the following information:
PURPOSE: Annual training is provided to prevent program errors, noncompliance, improve program service, and reduce appeals.
1. Purpose of the Program: The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women Infants, and Children (WIC) safeguards the health of low-income women, infants, and children up to the age of five by providing nutritious foods for those who are at nutritional risk. WIC is a federally funded program which provides Hawaii residents with nourishing supplemental foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding promotion and health and social service referrals. The participants of WIC are either pregnant, breastfeeding, or postpartum women, and infants and children under age five who meet income guidelines and have a medical or nutritional risk.
2. Supplemental foods authorized by the State Agency:
NOTE: Substitutions of WIC required food items are not allowed and cannot be authorized by WIC. Any substitution for items or sizes listed on a WIC check are a serious violation.
9. Claims procedures
Claims Against Vendors: When the State agency determines the vendor has committed a vendor violation that affects the payment to the vendor, the State agency will delay payment or establish a claim. The State agency may delay payment or establish a claim in the amount of the full purchase price of each food instrument or cash-value voucher that contained the vendor overcharge or other error. The State agency will provide the vendor with an opportunity to justify or correct a vendor overcharge or other error. The vendor must pay any claim assessed by the State agency. In collecting a claim, the State agency may offset the claim against current and subsequent amounts to be paid to the vendor. In addition to denying payment or assessing a claim, the State agency may sanction the vendor for vendor overcharges or other errors in accordance with the State agency’s sanction schedule.
Information regarding Second Level Review/APPEALED CHECKS can be found here.
Incentive Items: Section 246.12(h)(3)(iii) of the Federal WIC Regulations requires WIC authorized vendors to offer WIC Program participants, parents or caretakers of infant and child participants, and proxies the same courtesies that are offered to non-WIC customers.
WIC authorized vendors may not treat WIC customers differently from non-WIC customers by excluding them from in-store promotions – this includes disallowing the use of coupons or other vendor discounts in WIC transactions that are allowed in non-WIC transactions. Similarly, WIC-authorized vendors may not treat WIC customers differently by offering them incentive items, vendor discounts, coupons or other promotions that are not offered to non-WIC customers.
For more information regarding incentive items, please contact WIC Vendor Management Unit at (808)586-4776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|eWIC Introduction NEW|
|Maps of Participating Vendor Locations|
|WIC Minimum Stocking Requirements – Effective 1/29/2019|
|Vendor Forms and Supply Requests|
|Vendor Manual Section 8 Vendor Violations and Sanctions|
|Vendor Complaint Form and Process (For Vendor Use)|
|WIC Allowed Food List – Effective 10/01/2015|
|WIC Authorized Infant Formula Sources|
|Participant Access Determination Criteria|
WIC TACKS ARCHIVES 2016-2017
Hawaii WIC Vendor Manual
- Table of Contents
- Section 1 Overview
- Section 2 WIC Allowed Foods
- Section 3 WIC ID Folder
- Section 4 WIC Checks
- Section 5 WIC Check Redemption
- Section 6 Problem Solving
- Section 7 WIC Vendor Payments
- Section 8 Violations and Sanctions
- Section 9 WIC Vendor Responsibilities and Rights
- Section 10 WIC Vendor Selection and Authorization
- Section 11 Forms
- Section 12 ATTACHMENTS
Tim Freeman, Vendor Management Specialist
WIC Services Branch
Leiopapa A Kamehameha State Office Tower
235 S. Beretania Street, Suite 701
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
(808) 586-4776 or Toll Free 1-888-820-6425
Fax (808) 586-8189