Who is Eligible to Apply for an Amendment?

An original entry on a birth, death, civil union, marriage, or divorce certificate may be amended by either the private request of an individual or an order of a court of competent jurisdiction. An amendment includes changes, corrections, additions, deletions, or substitutions.

How to Apply for an Amendment

An amendment may be made upon application, but only with the submission of required documentary evidence in support of the amendment. The evidentiary requirements can differ, depending on whether the amendment is court-ordered or, if requested by an individual, whether it materially affects the validity and integrity of the record.

In most cases, a fee of $3 is charged for each request for amendment of an item or group of items on a given certificate.

Once an amendment of an item is made, that item will not be amended again without a court order or, if a person’s name is to be changed, without a change of name decree.

Further Information and Assistance

Amendments can be quite varied. To obtain more information about a specific amendment or make an appointment to discuss the desired amendment in person with a member of the registration staff, you may:

  1. Send a written letter of inquiry to:
    State Department of Health
    Office of Health Status Monitoring
    Registration/Corrections Section
    P.O. Box 3378
    Honolulu, HI 96801
    – or –
  2. For information on an amendment or correction, call (808) 586-4541 during regular business hours (7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. HST).
    Counter service is available Monday – Friday (excluding holidays) from 7:45 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Appointments are preferred.