Smoking Related Information
Hawai‘i Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System
Hawai‘i Youth Tobacco Survey
Adult Tobacco Survey
NATS was designed as a stratified, national, landline, and cell phone survey of non-institutionalized adults aged 18 years and older residing in the 50 states or D.C. It was developed to yield data representative and comparable at both national and state levels. The sample design also aims to provide national estimates for subgroups defined by gender, age, and race/ethnicity.
- 2006 Hawai’i Adult Tobacco Survey The 2006 Hawai’i Adult Tobacco Survey (ATS) collected in-depth data on the knowledge and attitudes of Hawai’i adults regarding the use of tobacco products, cessation efforts among smokers, attitudes and exposure towards second-hand smoke (SHS), and overall attitudes regarding smoking and its effects upon smokers and non-smokers.
- National ATS, 2003-2007
- National ATS, 2009-2010
Women and Smoking
- American Cancer Society; Women and Smoking
- The Pregnancy Risk Assessment and Monitoring System (PRAMS) is an annual representative survey of women who give birth in Hawai‘i. PRAMS collects state-specific, population-based data on maternal attitudes and experiences prior to, during, and immediately following pregnancy. Tobacco use is one of the areas covered by PRAMS:
- Smokefreewomen Web site created by the Tobacco Control Research Branch, Behavioral Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences of the National Cancer Institute
- Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. March 2001
- Hawaii Perinatal Smoking Quick Facts
Smoke Free Housing
Other Hawai‘i resources:
- The Burden of Chronic Obstructive Disease (COPD) in Hawai‘i – 2010
- Hawai‘i State Asthma Plan for 2011 – 2016
- Hawai‘i State Cancer Plan for 2010 – 2015
- Smoking & Tobacco Use In Hawai‘i Fact, Figures & Trends. July 2010
- Hawai‘i Tobacco Control Plan for 2011-2016
- 2016-2020 Tobacco Use Prevention and Control in Hawai‘i Plan
- 2016 Surgeon General report on e-cigarette use among youth. Full report.
- 2014 50th anniversary Surgeon General Report on youth and young adult tobacco use.
- Center for Tobacco Control Research & Education
- Involuntary Smoke Bibliography, this database includes abstracts of approximately 900 key articles regarding involuntary smoking and disease outcomes referenced in the 2006 Surgeon General’s Report: The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke.
- Medpage Today
- PubMed, is a free database accessing primarily the MEDLINE database of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics,
- Tobacco.org, daily compilation of tobacco control news in the U.S. and around the world
- No e-cigarette smoking poster and 2-to-a-page format
- Quit-line referral poster for health professionals counseling pregnant women,
- No direct sales to minors poster for retail staff.
- No sales to minors under 21 in Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
- Smoking prohibited by law including e-cigarettes in Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
Hawai‘i Fact Sheet(s)
34-minute video of Stan Glantz PhD’s talk in Honolulu on electronic smoking devices:
44-minute video of Karen Wilson MD’s talk in Honolulu on second-hand smoke risks to youth, click here for reference citations:
Tobacco Prevention & Education Program – 1250 Punchbowl St. Rm 217- Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 586-4613 / Fax: (808) 586-8252