Smoking Related Information
Hawai‘i Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System
- Have you smoked at least 100 cigarettes in your entire life?
- Do you now smoke cigarettes every day, some days, or not at all? (Adults who have smoked at least 100 cigarettes were asked)
- During the past 12 months, have you stopped smoking for one day or longer because you were trying to quit smoking? (Adults who now smoked every day or some days were asked)
- How long has it been since you last smoked a cigarette, even one or two puffs? (Adults who now smoke, smoked every day or smoked some days)
- Do you currently use chewing tobacco, snuff or snus everyday, some days, or not at all?
- On how many of the past 7 days did anyone smoke in your home while you were there?
- Which statement best describes the rules about smoking in your home while you were there? Do not include decks, lanais, garages, or porches:
- Smoking is not allowed anywhere in my home,
- Smoking is allowed in some places or at some times,
- Smoking is allowed anywhere in my home,
- There are no rules about smoking inside my home.
- Which statement best describes the rules about smoking in your family car or cars?
- Smoking is not allowed in any car,
- Smoking is allowed sometimes or in some cars,
- Smoking is not allowed when children are in the car,
- Smoking is allowed in all cars,
- We don’t have a family car/ does not apply.
Hawai‘i Youth Tobacco Survey
Adult Tobacco Survey
- 2006 Hawai’i Adult Tobacco Survey The 2006 Hawai’i Adult Tobacco Survey (ATS) collected in-depth data on the knowledge and attitudes of Hawai’i adults regarding the use of tobacco products, cessation efforts among smokers, attitudes and exposure towards second-hand smoke (SHS), and overall attitudes regarding smoking and its effects upon smokers and non-smokers.
- National ATS, 2003-2007
- National ATS, 2009-2010
Women and Smoking
- American Cancer Society; Women and Smoking
- The Pregnancy Risk Assessment and Monitoring System (PRAMS) is an annual representative survey of women who give birth in Hawai‘i. PRAMS collects state-specific, population-based data on maternal attitudes and experiences prior to, during, and immediately following pregnancy. Tobacco use is one of the areas covered by PRAMS:
- Smokefreewomen Web site created by the Tobacco Control Research Branch, Behavioral Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences of the National Cancer Institute
- Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. March 2001
- Hawaii Perinatal Smoking Quick Facts
Smoking Attributable Mortality, Morbidity, and Economic Costs
Smoke Free Housing
Other Hawai‘i resources:
- The Burden of Chronic Obstructive Disease (COPD) in Hawai‘i – 2010
- Hawai‘i State Asthma Plan for 2011 – 2016
- Hawai‘i State Cancer Plan for 2010 – 2015
- Smoking & Tobacco Use In Hawai‘i Fact, Figures & Trends. July 2010
- Hawai‘i Tobacco Control Plan for 2011-2016
- 2013 national report card for Hawai‘i
- 2013 Surgeon General Report on youth and young adult tobacco use
- 2013 Prevention Status Report for Hawaii
- Center for Tobacco Control Research & Education
- Involuntary Smoke Bibliography, this database includes abstracts of approximately 900 key articles regarding involuntary smoking and disease outcomes referenced in the 2006 Surgeon General’s Report: The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke.
- Medpage Today
- PubMed, is a free database accessing primarily the MEDLINE database of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics,
- Tobacco.org, daily compilation of tobacco control news in the U.S. and around the world
- No e-cigarette smoking poster and 2-to-a-page format
- Quit-line referral poster for health professionals counseling pregnant women,
- No direct sales to minors poster for retail staff.
Hawai‘i Fact Sheet(s)
34-minute video of Stan Glantz PhD’s talk in Honolulu on electronic smoking devices:
44-minute video of Karen Wilson MD’s talk in Honolulu on second-hand smoke risks to youth, click here for reference citations:
Tobacco Prevention & Education Program – 1250 Punchbowl St. Rm 217- Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 586-4613 / Fax: (808) 586-8252