- Examines respiratory specimens and other appropriate specimens for the presence of Mycobacterium spp.
- Provides isolation, identification and drug susceptibility laboratory services for departmental control programs.
- Provides consultative services with other laboratories on the isolation, identification and drug susceptibility of all Mycobacterium spp.
- Provides confirmation services to other laboratories.
- Provides assistance in referring Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates for genotypic characterization using spoligotyping, mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit (MIRU) analysis, and IS6110-based restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis.