FAMILY CAREGIVER SUPPORT PROGRAM
The Family Caregiver Support program provides caregiver support services to enable care recipients to remain in their familiar environment. These caregiver support services are available to adult family members, or other individuals who are informal, unpaid providers of in-home and community care to older adults age 60 and older.
Caregiver support services are also available to grandparents or relatives (not parents) age 55 or older who are taking care of a child, age 18 and younger and/or a relative 18 and older with a disability.
Please contact your county office on aging for more information about accessing these services.
Caregiver Support Services
- Access Assistance – A service that assists caregivers in obtaining access to the services and resources that are available within their communities.
- Counseling – Counseling to caregivers to assist them in making decisions and solving problems relating to their caregiving roles. This includes counseling to individuals, support groups, and caregiving training.
- Information Services – A service for caregivers that provides the public and individuals with information on resources and services available to the individual within their communities.
- Supplemental Services – Services provided on a limited basis to complement the care provided by caregivers. Examples of supplemental services include, but are not limited to, home modifications, assistive technologies, emergency
response systems, and incontinence supplies.
- Respite Care – Services which offer temporary, substitute supports or living arrangements for care recipients in order to provide a brief period of relief or rest for caregivers.
For caregiver services in your local area, please contact your county office on aging.
Elderly Affairs Division (Honolulu) phone:(808)768-7705 • website: www.elderlyaffairs.com
Hawaii County Office of Aging phone: (808)961-8600 • website: www.hcoahawaii.org
Maui County Office on Aging phone: (808)270-7755 • website: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/departments/Housing/aging.htm
Kauai Agency on Elderly Affairs phone: (808)241-4470 • website: www.kauai.gov/elderly
Family Caregiver Newsletter
This quarterly newsletter shares information and caregiving advice.