I want to be a certified caregiver
How to become a certified caregiver of an Adult Foster Home
The application process to become a certified caregiver to operate an Adult Foster Home (AFH) is coordinated by the Department of Health, Developmental Disabilities Division (DDD) Certification Unit. The length of time to complete the process is dependent on how complete the initial application/supplemental materials are, and the response time of the applicant to any request for updated or additional information.
Step 1: Contact the DDD Certification Unit
- You may contact the DDD Certification Unit to find out more about the application process.
- Contact us:
Developmental Disabilities Division
2201 Waimano Home Road, Hale A
Pearl City, Hawaii 96782
Telephone: (808) 453-6416
Step 2: Application Process
- Submit a completed application with all supporting materials, including an approved City and County building plan, to the DDD Certification Unit.
- During the review process you will be contacted regarding any follow-up questions or additional material required.
- Required background checks for all caregivers, substitutes, and household members will need to be conducted at the caregiver’s expense.
Step 3: Home Study
- Once the completed application with all supporting materials, including an approved City and County building plan are received a home study is conducted.
- A walk-through inspection of the home is part of the home study. Any noted corrections must be completed prior to certification.
Step 4: Approval
- Upon acceptance of the completed application, background clearances, home study, and completion of orientation training, the caregiver(s) will be issued a certificate of approval for one year.
Orientation Training for New Certified Caregivers
- All new certified caregivers are required to attend orientation training prior to the issuance of a certificate of approval.
- All new substitute caregivers are required to attend orientation training prior to the approval to be a substitute caregiver.
- Please note that registration is required for orientation and that the dates are subject to change.
- AFH Orientation Training Schedule – PDF Format