Blanket Section 401 WQC
Blanket Section 401 Water Quality Certification (WQC) for Certain 2017 Department of the Army (DA) Nationwide Permits (NWPs) (WQC0901), Effective March 2, 2018
Under Section 401 of the Clean Water Act, the Department of Health (DOH), Clean Water Branch (CWB) is responsible for issuing or denying Section 401 WQCs for any project/activity that requires a federal license or permit and may result in a water pollutant discharge to State surface waters. The DOH-CWB issued the Blanket Section 401 WQC, which became effective March 2, 2018, to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) for certain 2017 DA NWPs. Seven (7) NWPs are covered under the Blanket Section 401 WQC and include:
- NWP 3- Maintenance
- NWP 5 – Scientific Measurement Devices
- NWP 6 – Survey Activities
- NWP 10 – Mooring Buoys
- NWP 12 – Utility Line Activities
- NWP 13 – Bank Stabilization
- NWP 14 – Linear Transportation Projects
A discharger’s project/activity may be covered under the Blanket Section 401 WQC if the project/activity is covered under only one (1) of these NWPs and the discharger can comply with all conditions and requirements of the Blanket Section 401 WQC.
If you would like to request coverage under the Blanket Section 401 WQC:
- Download, read, and understand the Blanket Section 401 WQC. Response to public notice comments are also available to download.
- Understand your responsibilities and legal obligations.
- Determine if your organization can and will comply.
- Design your project to incorporate the Blanket Section 401 WQC and USACE NWP requirements.
- Complete and submit the e-Permitting NWP Blanket WQC Notification Form as required in the Blanket Section 401 WQC. Please go to https://eha-cloud.doh.hawaii.gov/epermit/, click on the Form Finder button, type “blanket” in the Form Search field, and click on the link to the “NWP Blanket WQC Notification Form.” Read the instructions and complete the form.
If you need a Section 401 WQC, but cannot comply with the requirements in the Blanket Section 401 WQC, you are required to complete and submit the CWB Individual Section 401 WQC Form. This application is available at: https://eha-cloud.doh.hawaii.gov/epermit/. Type “Section 401 WQC” in the Form Search field. Click on the link to the “CWB Individual Section 401 WQC Form.” Read the instructions and complete the form.